Shipwright needed in Bay Area

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by salk, Aug 10, 2008.

1. salk

salk New Member

Does anyone know a good shipwright in the San Francisco Bay Area? I am working on restoring a 46 foot sportfisher yacht built in 1926. We have a few projects to finish.

2. davidlong

davidlong New Member

shipwright needed

Hi,

I'm not a shipwright but I'm interested in learning boatbuilding. Are you working on this restoration yourself?

david long

3. David55cobra

David55cobra Junior Member

I know a fellow quite well who works only on wood boats and is absolutely amazing. He has been doing this for many years now, takes his time and does the job right, and doesnt try to get rich on every job. On top of all that, he is one of the nicest guys I know, and well worth a phone call. I've been working on wood boats for over 40 years now, and when I come across something weird, I call him. I dont know if it is appropriate to place his phone number here, but if you email me, I can forward it to you gladly !

4. david long

david long New Member

shipwright

I would definitely like to know this person. I will be buying a boat in the near future and my budget will only allow me to purchase a fixer. I intend to do a lot of the work myself. If it's not to much trouble, please send me his number.

David long
    davidlong.norcal@gmail.com
    415-425-7832

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I'd like to let you guys in on something.
    Your on your way to excitment with these older wooden plank boats.

There is a couple terms you should be aware of.

Nail Sick: that means a fastener going through a couple pieces of wood has rotted in the middle.
    The head looks good, but if you try to pull the Nail/Screw out, it just turns.
    That means the fastener has rotted and is doing nothing.

Next is "Blowing a Plank"
    That's usually what people speculate happend to your boat when nothing is left but the flotsom and jetsom. The boat and all hands went down without so much as a distress call.

The 'Nail Sick' fastener let go while you were underway and the Guest on board were up on deck with you, watching the scenery.

The plank moved outward and began to scoop water into the bilge or the lower decks. That pressure caused more planks to let loose and suddenly the boat is down by the bow and almost slowed to a stop.

Everybody is still looking around. Wondering whats happening, when the water comes rushing up the gangway blowing the Gangway door open and water comes in so fast its up to your waist before you can regain your balance.
    Now the Bow is under, you are under, all power is killed, the engines have stopped, the batteries are shorted, the ship is settleing down to the cabin highth and you are already in the water with nothing left to hang onto.

Appearently when this happens, there are no PFD's hanging on the upper decks, because normally no bodies are found.
    Nobody knew where to look really. Not till you were reported missing and a search was started.

What I'm suggesting is something I think the Coasties stated doing a few years ago on Wood vessels that carry hired crew or paying passengers.
    They make the owner pull a fastener. If it fails, they ground the boat till a lot of them are inspected and the problem is fixed. They wont say the boat is safe, just that the problem is fixed.

So if you dont get some knowlegable hired help, and get impatient, you'll hear me telling you to do this kind of checking first, before you put this work or art into the Water.

I hope you find an experienced wood boat guy. It's gonna add years of fun and great trips to your future. Not to mention all the work and expense you can enjoy along the way.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.