Advice on new bulwark/gunwale needed! Newbie warning

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Mandelstam, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Mandelstam

Mandelstam New Member

Hi everyone! I've been enjoying the forum for some time, even though lots of stuff is beyond my grasp at the moment.

I'm in the planning stages on restoring/rebuilding an old glassfiber boat. I'm going to remove the small doghouse and transform the boat to a open boat. The doghouse is just obscuring the view and is too small to actually use for anything. So it just takes up a lot of useful space.

Well, I have the same problem/challenge as the guy in this thread: Restoring 20' fiberglass boat - Challenge needs solution. In fact it's an identical boat.

This is a pic of an identical boat:
    [​IMG]

And this is what I'm trying to accomplish:
    [​IMG]

Before I go into details, let me just say that my English boat lingo isn't so good so maybe I'll use the wrong word here and there, I hope you don't mind and don't get too confused. ;)

I like to add a vertical "bulwark" along the inner edge of the big "well hole". There is a rounded profile along what is now the open part up til it meets the dog house.

My idea is to remove that profile and create a new one that runs round the whole boat so to speak.

I am really inpired by this boat, even if it's made of wood:
    [​IMG]

That is exactly the kind of bulwark I'd like to build. The question is how. I'd like to build it out of polyester but how do you mount a standing profile perpendicular along the edge of the deck?

I've made a quick sketch that kind of made sense to me but as I have no real experience with this I thought I'd run it by you guys. The text is in Swedish but I'll try to explain it.
    [​IMG]
    The idea is to either use Divinycell or plywood as a core and temporarily attach that to the deck where I want it. On top I'll push down a pvc or rubber hose that I cut open. This is just to get the shape of the profile I want. Then this is glassed over with enough glass and polyester. Inward edges is rounded with polyester with some filler before glassing over. Outward edges is sanded round.

But the big question is if this will be structurally sound?

There was some good and interesting ideas in the other thread I linked to up top but I really like the looks of this thin vertical profile. Here in Sweden at least you see it on many traditional open boats of this type.

Greatful for any input!

/Karl

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome, Karl.
    What you have illustrated looks adequately strong.

3. Mandelstam

Mandelstam New Member

Thank you for your reply Hoyt!

You made me feel more confident that this will work.

/Karl

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Here are some English terms to aid in the discussion:

Attached Files:

• terms.jpg
      terms.jpg
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:

5. Mandelstam

Mandelstam New Member