advice on my plan please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gypsy72, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Gypsy72

Gypsy72 Junior Member

my goal is to build and run a day charter vessel
    I've checked out the long list of "cons" that go with converting a rec vessel to commercial vessel.
    I've attempted to locate the right commercial vessel for purchase but have not been able to locate one yet.
    I'm thinking about locating and purchasing prints to a vessel with the lines I'm looking for. Then going to a Naval Architect (with a P.E. stamp) to make the necessary changes to make the vessel meet USCG "T" boat standards. And create the cosmetic look I want to achieve.
    Get the plans approved through the USCG planning board,
    Get an estimate from a shipyard,
    Then bring the approved design and the construction estimate included with my buisness plan to my potential backers.
    Does this sound like cost effective course or not?

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

No, there are significant subtle differences between charter / day boats and yachts that yacht designers just don't understand. You may be able to get a yacht design that will pass, Coast Guard, but it will be a poor compromise and cost much more than it needs to. Get a boat designed from scratch for what you want it to do. What advantage do you see in buying plans for a yacht in the first place?

It is silly enough to change an existing rec boat to a commercial boat. There at least you have some justification for doing it, here you are buying the wrong plans and spending money to half redo them to be the minimum acceptable match, than spending more money to have a custom built thing that is neither nor. I've seen this frequently - someone goes to a yacht designer and gets a poor commercial boat that costs twice what it should and does half what it could. Note also that many small shipyards will "no bid" this type of design, and it will end up costing you more that way too.

You may want to talk directly to shipyards first. Many yards doing small commercial craft have their own designs, which they are already tooled up for.

3. Gypsy72

Gypsy72 Junior Member

excellent advice, I've been digging since I posted this and totally agree with you.
    The search for the right yard is on!
    thanks for your help

4. captword

captword Junior Member

Have you looked into boats and harbours?yet? They have all kinds of vessels for sell in there comercial and private. they also have comercailboats in there ,where you but the already setup business when you buy the boat. What kind of business are you going to set up? You got your captains license? gonna hire a cap? I run a charter business as well as do boatwork. I maybe able to help you through the pitfalls and myths.
    Howard

5. Gypsy72

Gypsy72 Junior Member

I've tried to look up "Boats and Harbours" but have yet to find anything. Is there a website?
    Yes, I am starting a day charter buisness.
    Yes, I will captain myself, for now.
    I'm in the process of getting my "days" calculated from my military time.
    I am going to get my 100 ton right off the bat as I already have the required days and tonage under my belt.
    For obvious reasons, I cant get too deep into my intentions, but I can tell you that the target run date is Oct. 2005.
    Any info will be appreciated.

6. captword

captword Junior Member

no they do not have a website as of yett. would bew awesome if they did. I found my firdt issue at the newstand. A good magazine or newspaper store might have it. My scanner wont scan text at the moment for some reason, but here is the info.
    first class mail 36 issues 3 per month $62.00
    boats and harbors
    PO Box 647
    crossville, Tn 38557
    ph(931)484-6100

Might be well worth looking into
    might save you aload of money and you might find an already set up business

7. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Make sure you join the Passenger Vessel Association.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.