Advice on Cummins 555s

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by lunar9, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunar9

lunar9 New Member

Hi
    I am new to this forum.
    I am about to purchase a 38 ft Riveria with twin 555 Cummins engines with about 1700 hours.The price is attractive enough to repower if needed. What special items should I check for on pre purchase inspection of these engines?
    Is their seemingly poor reputation justified?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. RMSOSF

RMSOSF Junior Member

Get an engine surveyor, he will be worth his weight in gold. All the necessary tests should be done such as compression test, oil samples, boost check, coolant samples, EGT test, tranny oil samples, tranny output test and a full sea trial.

3. lunar9

lunar9 New Member

Cummins 555m advice

Thanks for your reply. My experience is limited to Perkins & Volvo marine diesels. I am unsure if the negative "forum speak" surrounding the 555's is fully justified.
    regards

4. RMSOSF

RMSOSF Junior Member

Funny thing.... as with everything in this world, if one in a thousand has a bad experience with something, that news will travel at light speed and rampant. The other 999 will be silently content.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

If you can obtain a copy of "Boats and Harbors" a yellow sheet that is published bi weekly , you will find loads of advertisers that will export parts etc,

FF

6. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

7. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Lunar, Plan on the repower and place your bid on this boat accordingly. The old "triple nickel" has a terrible reputation as a marine engine, and has been out of production for a long time. Do some research on boatdiesel.com.

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I live near you and worked for Cummins Newcastle in the early 70,s when these 555 were new, I have extensive experience of them. And they are a very good engine, they got let down a bit pulling 45 tionne coal semis, around that area, with mainly 10 sp roeadranger boxes, they are a true high speed diesel and were not meant to lug they were a very good choice in thsoe days power to weight ratio
    Shortly afetr all thsi I started baotbuilding but retain interest Cummins
    i will be down you are soon or you can call me here if you wish 54561210
    Stu

9. oktay Çemberci

oktay Çemberci Previous Member

Cummins Engine Brochures

Dear Sır
    I prepared an Internet sıte named www.engine-cemberci.com
    www.engine-cemberci.com/engine/CUMMINS/4.pdf of Cummins 555 engine
    brochure is there.
    Oktay Çemberci
    İstanbul/Turkey

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

the absolutely astonishing thing and something that flattens me is that
    I posted a reply here early on, in this thread, offered my considerable experience, and even my home tel number. never ever received a reply
    So I say to anyone who starts a thread, looking for help, have the good grace to acknowledge

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.