Installing a transom door

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Cutplugswork, May 18, 2009.

1. Cutplugswork

Cutplugswork New Member

I have a 1993 2859 Bayliner Classic. I like the boat, but newer models have a full transom door and I want to install one on this boat. I would like to know if anyone has made this modification to a like vessel and some advice on thier experience through the process. It looks like fairly simple fiberglass and gelcoat work and shouldn't interfer with the structural strength of the hull or transom; as I will reinforce the opening prior to the glass work. All changes will be well above the waterline and a couple inches above the main deck. The boat is on a trailer at this time so access is easy.

2. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

I've installed transom doors and I have repaired transom doors on Bayliners. It's a bigger job than it might appear and if you look at the Bayliner motoryacht line you will see cracks around the starboard side of the door because they didn't leave enough gusset between the threshold of the door in the starboard topsides. If you get into this job leave as much of the transom you can to carry the loads of the stern mooring cleat.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

I'm with him. I've done this before but you'd be surprised at how floppy things can get if you aren't prepared to make it beefy. When I saw your handle, I thought "this guy's from Tacoma or someplace similar ..." then saw you were from Tacoma.

4. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

mark775, your posting at three in the morning, I hope all is well. We are neighbors and we play at similar games, we should talk but I'm shy on time right now ( going shrimping), I'll be back online in few days.
    Gerald

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL,
    Anyone with a nickname like cutplugworks from Tacoma could quite possibly be a "meatline" enthusiast. Welcome Cutplug, see you around the Point in August. PM me if you want a little help with your transom door project.