suggestions for improving centerboard pivot

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by boatstruck, Jul 7, 2010.

1. boatstruck

boatstruck New Member

hello folks, new to boatdesign.net, nice to meet you all.

i have removed the centerboard from my 30' Irwin Citation and found the hole in the board has been wallowed out to a 3" groove.

i would like to reinforce this area.
    i would also like the pivot to resist corrosion with the stainless pin (also missing)
    the board is GRP over plywood, five feet long by 1 foot wide and weights 80 pounds.

originally i thought metal bushings but am not sure how to secure them to the board

then i thought embed a plastic bushing 3" in diameter, something that can bond with epoxy, does nylon bond well?

then i thought, let me ask some of the guys at boatdesign.net

all ideas appreciated.
    thanks in advance

boatstruck (matt)

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

NYLON wont stick to epoxy but look on the positive side and use the epoxy as the sleeve to retain the nylon if you add some shape to the outside of the nylon bush like square with a hole in the middle it will stay and pivot :confused: .Find a type of urethane called NYLOTHANE used for bushings in car suspensions and is really robust and tough !!all the bushs ive seen have been bright red in colour

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Nylon is not bad but take into account that is swells with water. Give it some clearance. It will not bond, but you can make a mechanical lock by giving a taper to the outside of the bushing.

4. boatstruck

boatstruck New Member

thanks gonzo, and tunnels
    i will talk to the guys at the machine shop and see what they suggest
    i will let you know how it goes
    thanks again
    boatstruck (matt)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.