Advice on boat building

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by zoso, Dec 14, 2005.

1. zoso

zoso Junior Member

Ok, thanks heaps for all the advice from everyone. I was just exploring ideas and ways of keeping costds down and keeping the boat as light as possible. I'm glad I got to chat about it here before getting into anything!

So while I have the attention of the designer, how might I go about keeping the deck as light as possible, if as you say its sensitive to weight up top??

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The basic point everyone has been reasonably nice about beating 'round the bush is, unless you have substantial engineering skills, which your previous posts haven't revealed, then building to the plans would be your most reasonable course of action. Make changes to the areas of the boat you would find of more convenience, rather then structure, unless of course, you are capable of engineering panel loading or center of masses calculations to effect a successful outcome in your redesign of this craft.

3. Robjl

Robjl Senior Member

Stick to the plans...

Best advice I can give is to suggest you stick to the plans.
    You don't have the engineering or experience with materials to go off on a tangent.
    Your ideas as explained in your first post are not sound.
    Try your local wholesale suppliers/resellers for some "Hoop pine C-C structural ply" if the price of marine ply is too high for your budget, it's less than half the price of marine ply, the glue line is waterproof and the timber the same as marine ply. The surface finish won't be as good as marine ply and the structural ply will have some minor defects (cracks/voids in the internal veneers) that aren't really a problem in a project like yours.
    I know you think that the 16' is your size...I know several people who moved up to an 18' boat...the difference in size ..16' to 18' is significant...the 18 is a much better boat in my view for not a lot more work.
    Check out your local yacht clubs (where trailer sailers race)...I'm sure an afternoon visit and a chat with owners (who will all offer good advice) would be worthwhile.
    Which State are you in?
    Cheers
    Rob.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.