Advice on a boat i saw in Alexandria

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Vulkyn, Nov 3, 2013.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Vulkyn, You can have a simple and safe 10' by 32' dory hull boat for the spring launching. It can happen if you have a few bucks and the desire to make it happen and you will get good material pricing and lots of help. I do not know shipping prices from here to you so check it out. Stan

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Just got off the phone with a fellow selling an old 1986 Birchwood boat 32'.
    Not heard of the brand before.

Any one came across them before ?

Attached Files:

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Sponsons suggest ponderous.

4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Say what now ?

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Those sponsons on the back look to be an added on feature and usually the only reason they're added is because the boat is so heavy it needs the extra flotation or it wallows around too much.

I'm assuming the boat is fiberglass...?

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Do you have a good idea on the costs of owning a boat like that?

Something like that in the US could easily cost a couple hundred dollars a day to run, just for the fuel. If you happen to touch something with your prop, that could be thousands of dollars.

Repairs and maintenance are a large part of a boat like that with it's numerous systems. Even if you don't use it, things go bad. Seals dry, connections or parts corrode, tires go flat, air conditioners lose freon, ropes get crappy. If you have to pay dock fees, they never stop, yard and mechanic fees plus the cost of parts are a big reason why lots of boats just get abandoned at the marina, the repair bills are more than the boat is worth.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You see in the picture with the two guys standing by the boat, it's a different trailer than the center picture.

The boat looks too big for either trailer, but that blue painted one would only last a few years if you dip it in salt water.

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I don't know if they are designed that way. Maybe on the first boat on the trailer it's part of a swim platform.

[​IMG]

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I meant that thing at the neck level of the first guy, the extra flotation piece.

[​IMG]

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yes, I saw that first photo and was going to post it. It sure looks like an add on feature.

I would be real leery of a 27 year old boat without a very thorough marine survey, especially of the mechanical systems.

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Yah .... seems that those boats are well built though judging from the feedback online from several forums.
    Its a hefty boat and at that time they used to over engineer things :D

And yah but we don't have marine surveyors, why do you think i keep bugging every one here with streams of questions :D !!

Thanks for all the support though ... and yah i really like that boat so far. The owner knows what he is doing in his boat, at least he has a good clue of the inside and out of the boat.
    Well its almost the same price as the wooden boat so at least its worth a detailed look.

15. JSL

JSL Senior Member

The 'thing' at neck level is probably an external duct for the exhaust. This can also double as a guard. I have used them on a few boats (aluminum)and they work well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.