new custom cat whats your opinion

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by aitkenkingfish, Apr 13, 2009.

1. aitkenkingfish

aitkenkingfish Junior Member

I picked this cat up from the builder. he had taken the pair of 50's off & the console planning on turring it into a flats boat. luckily he found a pathfinder he couldnt pass up. so im planning on rigging with a pair of johnson 65's. Ill rebuild thje console with some divinicell i have laying around. what do you think of her any ideas of speed to expect it's 18' with a 8.5' beam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Looks ok to me. The 2m500 beam is very nice as well, it's going to be stable to walk on.

With 2 x 65 Johnson's you can expect about 15km/hr top speed. With Yamaha or Evenrudes about three to four times as much :D

Just joking. Depending on the boat's weight and the prop pitch thumb suck you should be able to do 50 to 60km/hr.

With one 115 you should get about 70 to 80 km/hr.

3. aitkenkingfish

You think ill see a higher top end in a single engine install? Better handling with the twin right

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yes you will. I had 2 x 60's on my previous boat, the one I have now has a single 115 on it. Identical hulls on my part, also 5m500.

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you're going sea fishing or something then the 2 motors is a must. For fresh or protected waters the single is ok, but a trolling motor or a small emergency motor is a good idea then.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

This depends on the boat. I won't change back to the 2 x 60's, but I use mine for fresh only.

If you do surf launches then the twin would handle better. They get fitted with low pitch props to provide better grip for quick acceleration and better handling in rough water where you have to go slower to keep it safe.

6. aitkenkingfish

Mostly offshore

7. aitkenkingfish

Do you have any pics of your boat fanie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.