How to retain that honeyed teak colour?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by nilechamp, Sep 24, 2007.

1. nilechamp

nilechamp New Member

I have just purchased 1400 sq ft of teak boarding from Trinidad. The 'current' natural colour is just perfect. It is that golden honeyed yellow with the grain giving fantastic character. The wood is not going down on a yacht deck but I guess you boat builders will know more about teak maintenance than just about anybody else. I have coated one sample with Teak Oil and one with Thompsons. The teak oil darkened the wood way beyond that which I liked and the Thompsons deteriorated under the Caribbean sun in under 5 weeks. What can I do to protect the decking but not significantly darken it?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any oil will darken the teak, it's the nature of the beast, this would include varnish too. Polyurethane will leave the least impact on the color, but any clear coating will impart some changes, again the nature of the beast. The better the protection (UV inhibitors) the more you can expect a change in the color. The polyurethanes will add the smallest amount to the color. You'll have to do some testing with different products. It's likely the high cost marine grade polys will be the choice for you, in terms of durability and color. Having lived in tropical waters for some time, expect to recoat your "bright work" every 6 months to maintain the perfect finish, or once a year to keep it alive. I had a charter out of St. Thomas for while with a teak yacht, which was completely bright and twice a year was the norm, but I was lucky to get all surfaces coated well each year, with touch ups as necessary, to prevent finish break down and repair damage.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.