Advancement in Batteries

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TKOUSA, Jul 30, 2012.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

3 years ago I wrote a letter to them, the only way they could make it to work, was to wound the very thin layers like the policab capacitors are made, on reels of 3 to 4 meter diameter (or larger) and spray under vacuum the ring with conductive material. Thereafter, cut it up in battery sizes and their production would have been up and running a long time ago already.

It seems that you are right and that they only want money for jam.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Bolivia doesn't seem to have enough electricity to exploit the reserves; they are never mentioned as Lithium suppliers.

Bolivia does not want to partner with outside developers as the local politicos claim Bolivia is so poor because "outsiders" rob them. Echo of Hugo Chavez mentality..

3. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

I'm beginning to agree. This looks like a company you could make a small fortune with -- assuming you started with a large fortune.

1 person likes this.
  4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

They reminds me of a yoke. One day a lawyer decided to retire and to hand over the practice to his son. After a couple of days after his son was running the practice, he came home triumphantly and said "Dad, you know that case you have been working on for 10 years? I solved it in one day !!, the son spoke out triumphantly. His dad answered, "But Son, where are you going to live from for the next years to come? ".

It looks like this also the case with them.

Although I greatly believe that their prototype did work properly. But they had massive production problems, which they could not overcome. Let me explain that. For one battery (Super Capacitor) they need 10.000 sheets of carbon aerogel + 5000 sheets of dielectric. To pack them without one getting torn is a nightmare. They had orders for 100.000 batteries i.e. 15.000 x 100.000 = 1,5 billion very thin easy to torn sheets for only 100.000 batteries. The market is easy a few million batteries per month.

I proposed to them to use a German manufacturing procedure and try to get an agreement with them to use (their most likely patented) manufacturing procedure for Policab Capacitors.
    For those who are not electronic literate. In a capacitor the electrons are stored and removed from just below the surface of the one capacitor side and added to just below the surface on the other. Therefore per square mile the density of power is limited. This is by the aerogel different. There, the electrons are removed or added right through the thickness of the material, whereby the power density is incredible high. If EESTOR had used the German production method, they could have the in two reels manufactured aerogel placed offset and then run from the third and fourth reel the very thin dielectric. You have then a large 3 to 4 meter (If you have the space, you can make it 10 yards) roll of a offset layered conductive material with dielectric between. Now, under vacuum you spray against both side a metal. You have thus a big reel with on both sides metal under vacuum sprayed, both sides are offset and which are the terminals of the battery in the future. Those big reel, must get cut, with a very thin saw blade and you have a super capacitor without terminals. Now you weld on both side the terminals on the thick sprayed on metal and "e-voila" you have a super capacitor with a very high power density.

Thus I also agree with you, that EESTOR could have long ago, have fled the market with a final product. One wonders why not. Note after I received a message from Brian. I wish they had fled the market, I wouldn't be so disappointed, as I was looking forward to high current, long life "batteries". I don't see them fledding the market for a long time.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  5. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Have the drawbacks of low watt hours per unit weight/volume and quick self discharge been solved with the latest supercaps? They can be quickly charged/discharged at extremely high power density and last forever. But have they even come close to rechargable propulsion batteries, in sustained power per unit weight/volume?

Porta

6. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

Google for battery forums, you will find a lot more info than a boating forum.

For the last 10 years I have worked for various UAV manufacturers as a consultant and have experience with battery technology. Believe me, no one needs more battery performance than the UAV industry.

All the hype over huge advancements is just BS from startups looking for investors. It takes 5-10 years before a new technology will bear fruit.

You have 3 proven high performance battery technologies and only one is feasible. LiPo batteries have excellent performance but short life and are fickle to charge. LiS has better performance but the good stuff can not be recharged. LiIon/ NiMh is what is in a Prius and the only practical exotic battery technology. LiPo's are the battery of choice in the UAV industry because we don't care it has such a short life, 50-100 charges at best. LiS is used by the military for radios and other man carried equipment and the military doesn't care about cost or the fact that the batteries are one use only. There are literally millions of discarded toxic LiS batteries polluting the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan.

LiIon and NiMh is safe, reliable and long life. For that reason the battery packs from a Prius are a commodity among the electric DIY crowd.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.