Addition of motor mount to stern

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by schlever, Jul 14, 2009.

1. schlever

schlever Junior Member

Hi, I am wondering if I would be able to add a motor mount to the stern of my 8 foot fiberglass pram I'm restoring, or would it be able to withstand a 3hp engine on it without one. The previous owner used a electric trolling motor and a 7.5 hp.

I've included a picture of the boat.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I would glue a piece of 1/2" plywood to the transom, off center to port. This piece should be big enough to prevent the outboard's mounting bracket from having to touch the hull, maybe 9" x 12". Seal the plywood with three coats of neat epoxy, then bond it to the transom with thickened epoxy. Paint the same as the hull. 3 HP is more then enough engine for this little boat, a 7.5 is just wasting fuel.

3. schlever

schlever Junior Member

Thanks Par, thats what I was kind of considering doing, but am new to all this and wanted to run it by some experienced people. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as this project continues on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.