Print through

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Carbonman, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Junior Member

Today after making a few carbon fiber parts via vacuum infusion I noticed that under 100F they start to print through the surface. I know its due to the heat and no matter what carbon fiber will always have print through weather its minimal or allot but what are ways to reduce this?

I vacuum infuse parts with epoxy resin (a little thicker then I should be useing) and then I apply 2 layers of urathane automotive clear coat. Wet sand with 800, 2000, buff and polish. SO the top layer is very thin.

Can I just spray on a few layers of epoxy, wet sand, then put the automotive clear over that and shoudl that reduce the print through majorly?

I did notice when I used to do vacuum bagging where I would just put on a clear gel coat I would get less print through. But I dont want do put gel coats since its vacuum bagging. So is spraying on laquer thinned epoxy resin my best bet?