Adding Hydrofoil Stabilizers to 28" Bayliner Contessa

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by cobra94r, Jun 25, 2007.

1. cobra94r

cobra94r New Member

Hello all!! I am new to the forums and have what may be a stupid question. So... please bear with me... lol.
    I am fairly new to boating. I bought a 28' Bayliner Contessa in October.

Since it is a pretty heavy boat and my family and I will probably have a significant amount of weight on it most of the time. Would it be worth adding a hydrofoil stablizer on it. The boat ALREADY has trim tabs on it. I am just looking for something that may help me get on plane a little sooner.

My brother.. (who doesn't have much more experience than myself) swears that I should invest in one. Although the cost is not an issue.... I would just hate to install one only to find that it was a waste of time and money. The marina is dropping it in the water this week so... I would like to install it before they do so.

Its primary use is crusing... the majority of the time it would be at cruising speeds.

Thank all of you for your time and input!!!

2. Phoenyix

Phoenyix Junior Member

In my opinion I don't see a hydrofoil stabilizer is all that necessary for cruising. That being said there are some gains installing one for lower speeds. It will decrease some of the wake you put out, it will reduce porpoising, and it will bring the bow down for better visibility. Also some people claim it will increase your fuel economy. Where you will see the most benefit is at higher speeds. Along with the benefits above you will be able to get on plane faster and you gain more stability and control.

At 50 - 70 dollars if all it does is improve your fuel economy it may be worth it at todays fuel prices.

3. redtech

redtech Senior Member

for a boat of your size it's not going to matter

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Agreed.

5. cobra94r

cobra94r New Member

Thanks for your input!!! It is greatly appreciated!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.