Adding depth to steel barge

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Big Builder, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Big Builder

Big Builder Junior Member

Our barge is 12' wide by 32' long by 2' deep. I would like to upsize but
    have been unable to locate suitable. Any opinions on adding another 2'
    of depths to this barge. It was constructed using commercial steel trusses
    inside. My thoughts would be to simply weld another truss on top of the exisiting to double it's depth?

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

You ned to watch the scanting sizes, plate thickness is important sound like you need some local pro advice.

3. Big Builder

Big Builder Junior Member

Local professionals are rare in a small town. I was hoping that I could find
    some answers here. My top deck plate is 1/4 " I am not sure waht scanting is can you elaborate? This is still a very small barge and is used mostly to move construction materials. Loads will never exceed 15 tonnes even when it is enlarged.

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

They will mate, they will - if you've got the capacity you'll use it! No matter what you say now sometime in the future you'll be pushed into it (pressure of work). If the stuff carried is such that it's weight never changes it must be a solid piece of gear (roof trussess?) In which case do you need to be deeper? Remember 2 feet deeper may mean difficulty in getting into the dock to unload (you state you come from a small town, is it so small that the dock size is limited? I'd say yes, so take a look!) If your not sure what "scantlings" are I'd say your not really a 'sailor' but a 'builder' who lives near the water, and like the rest of us is trying to get something done as cheap as possible. Nothing wrong with that, your in business are't you? But be careful the water will kill you as soon as look at you, take another look AND if you REALLY need this extra size employ an Expert it'll work out cheaper in the end! It may even save your life!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.