Trampoline Material

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Everyone,

The trampolines you get on the multihulls (where the girls tan on :D) -

What material is it made of, and how thick is it ?

2. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

go and buy some trawler net with small holes from a trawler supply co, cheap comfy and very very durable
    sean

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Sean,

Thanks, good idea. What is a trawler supply co ? Guys sels fishing nets ?

I still need to know what it is made from.

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Trampolines are made out of a number of different materials. One issue is how porous you want the tramp to be. Porous fabrics are comfortable, but shed water slower and can produce more windage when the yacht is heeled at large angles. Netting doesn't have these problems, but isn't as comfy on bare skin.

I used netting from Net Systems when I made the tramps for my cruising trimaran. I went with Dyneema netting with a cell size of 1" squares. Nylon netting with 2" squares is also used on cruising boats.

Sunrise Yacht Products is one of the largest manufacturers of trampolines for multihulls. They have a wide variety of materials and colors.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he... I like your thinking, Tom :D

The netting sounds better and better. You don't want them to just lie (lay) there all the time. Who'll make the food ?

Does any of the SA guys know of a trawler net supplier ? I'll google and see what comes up. Thanks for the responses.

Tom, bothers me a bit the yacht heeled at large angles ;) Mono's use netting as well now :D

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The 25mm and 50mm large holes are quite large. I've seen some video's where the trampoline looks almost like shade netting, and you can see the sparay goes through it.

The trampoline on my friend's small trimaran is fine and smoother than shade netting, leaves no pattern as Tom said 'on the bare skin'. Can't say that it is thinner than shade netting, but it looks more like a nylon and it is finer woven.

7. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

mine has about an inch hole and is very very confortable
    sean

8. deepsix

deepsix Senior Member

I really like the bainbridge heavy duty mesh, it is a woven polyester mesh with a vinyl coating. The tramps are made by welding the material, not sewing where the stitching eventually fails due to UV. This is very expensive though.

http://www.sail-making.com/dbimgs/Mesh UK.pdf - last page.

The mesh that you saw on the windrider is probably the standard hobie tramp material, but it is probably not strong enough for bigger boats.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thanks... yes the ultrasonic welding makes sense, it would be stronger than sewing.

Only one person can go on the windrider's tramp... it won't be strong enough for much more.

I'll find out about the netting. If it's strong, durable, cheap and can leave some interesting imprint on bare skin ;) then it may be what to get. Maybe even catch something if you burrough into a wave :D

10. Splash Gordon

Splash Gordon Junior Member

Howzit Fanie!
    Get hold of Alnet or better still get hold of I&J Trawling here in CT and see what they can do for you, otherwise try Johann at Ropeworld- he'll make you custom nets out of whatever you want, any size you like.
    FWIW, I know the hardcore and wannabe-hardcore cats use Vectran netting ($$$$!!!) which they roll up at the edges, then they lash the bundle to the boat. I think it looks kak, but then I'm not hardcore- cruising-cats aren't meant to be either!

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

SPLASH Gordon eh :D

I phoned Alnet, they are around the corner here in jhb from me. I think they forgot to phone back. Will remind them to phone back ;)

It will help if one knows someone at I&J...

Could try ropeworld also... thanks.

Check out the rigging on the pics :D

Attached Files:

12. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

... Trampoline material? Flash Gordon? How DO these threads get so out of hand :D

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Trev... aaaww you know how it is... takes all sorts :rolleyes: Found them on the net ;) Good example of too much trampoline. As Splash said you have to be hardcore to like it :D

Attached Files:

14. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Bluebottle (from the Goon Show - circa 1952) had the perfect reply...

... You Silly Twisted Boy, You :D

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry Oom Trev, sal nie weer nie :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.