6-71 Gray Marine Diesel Engine cooling system ?

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Arnaud2023, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Arnaud2023

Arnaud2023 New Member

Hello everyone
    I have a 6-71 Gray Marine Diesel Engine which I think is after 1970. I am new to this engine and I really need information on the cooling system first.

2. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Keel cooled or raw with exchanger? Blower? Turbo? Water jacket manifold? On block gear cooler?

I've owned or engineered on boats with Detroits for near 20 years, only pulling my last 71 series in 22'. They are almost like Lego in ease of configuration, but there were many options. Can't really help without a bif more info.

fallguy likes this.
  3. Arnaud2023

Arnaud2023 New Member

4. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Ah I see the pics are now up.

While it's not a common engine today it rules the seas for 30-40 years. Guessing a standard keel cooled 671 near 150-175 hp. Usually has that front and center expansion tank.

I recommend getting on ebay and finding an old service manual they look like this.

Detroit Diesel Engines In-line 71 Service Manual | eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/314370851212

They will have decent albeit old pics of each system, my memory is waterjacket, oil cooler, wet manifold but it varied depending on integrated Trans cooler or remote.

5. Arnaud2023

Arnaud2023 New Member

Hello Comfisherman
    Do you have a Wathsapp?
    We could communicate live?
    Thank you for your participation? And for your advice
    Regards
    Arnaud

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.