Adding a Luff Groove to Carbon Mast

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BobBill, Apr 30, 2012.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Bob; Why are you opposed to sleeve luff sails? I am sure that you have your reasons.

2. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Well, for one thing, I had a Laser and the second sail for the Kite is a Force 5 sail (near the same as Kite original) and has a sleeved sail on a carbon mast I made (in case) as the Sitka Spruce masts are impossible to find and spendy.

Like the Laser, maybe even more difficult and very inconvenient, unless boat is on beach and there is no breeze. (The original Kite has a rope luff.) Kite is near as light as Laser and the wind does make mischief, to me.

The sleeved sail is plainly not easy to strike on the water, for another thing, or take a reef, as it more or less sits in place.

I was never comfy with Laser, thought it wet sailing junk generally, and a mistake for me...sold it near immediately...and even then I thought the flimsy sail rig was its best attribute and certainly fits its original target market, but after I bought one, I never liked setting-up in a breeze.

Then there is the sheer size of the Malibu Outrigger sail, the yard is 26 feet long, boom 16...say some 220 plus square feet.

I can drop the sail (yard) easy enough, but taking it to a reef point would be difficult without the hardware, and not at all possible with current arrangement.

Now, add some wind pressure. Nightmare, at best.

To me, the easiest would be to have slides, either traditional 5/8 or slugs, followed by bolt rope...sleeve is last and really trying to avoid, save a smaller sail for beer cruises. Even the thought of sliding the luff on to the yard is not appetizing.

I do some coastal point to point sailing also and the luff sail offers nothing a decent bolt rope has been doing for decades, easy dropping the yard notwithstanding for overnight dock, beaching, etc.

I have not given up on the idea, but it is last on the list, however.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Good and sensible reply. Points taken.

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Thanks, messabout. I am always open to suggestions.

I take my time, sometimes too much time, to decide on a plan and proceed, particularly when working with epoxy. (Took me near 5 hours to plan gooseneck and list the stainless parts and assy schedule for this outrigger...

But with weather, what else to do? (Cannot even walk in woods. We are going to go back to wood fireplace insert, to be sure next year.)

I think I solved my problem with the luff-glass or carbon .4" ID tube idea, I do my part with care and patience. Will be worth it, it works.

I might even have the best of both worlds...use rope-luff big sail for speed and big water and can slip on a mini (sleeved) for lazy beer/swim float on our weed patch lake, with some buds in "hot" July...

Uploaded pic of orig Malibu Outrigger and my planned version. It is and will remain foiless.

I am inside, dreaming. It's -15 here at moment and we are Minnesota's warm spot. Hope the main hull is okay sitting out in yard...with the deer.

We need an +80 degree shift...an I would not even complain about our weed patch of a lake.

I never complain about it being too hot, or mowing grass in heat, never.

Lay 90 on me any day. People here who say they like winter have me bewildered. Only reason we are here now is grandkids, and laziness.

I should come to Lakeland... :] Actually, thinking seriously about Apalachicola, FL, but wife keeps ducking trip. Stay toasty.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.