adding a bow sprit

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by robwilk37, Aug 4, 2013.

1. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

time to sand and fair to the waterline, and so i must add the tang/chainplate for the bobstay. how is it typically attached inside the bow? does it "Y" on the inside and through-bolt to the hull, or fork and through-bolt to a longitudinal frame...or some other way? and from other boats it seems glass/epoxy seals out the sea, and not a more flexible material? anyone got a pic or two of their installation? 40' cutter rig.

TIA

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Google composite chainplate. Also search boatdesign net. composite chainplate

No need to add metal to a plastic boat

3. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

yes, thanks. im a big fan of comp chains, already done the other 10. the bobstay tang though, has in the past and on other boats occasionally taken a beating. i remember once climbing up on a mostly submerged container at night. the bobstay slid smoothly until the SS tang, which hung us there till wave action rocked us off. and the second hole for the anchor attachment, dont know how comfortable i am with that being in CF. i guess i just dont have my head around how strong/durable these structures are, and even though i understand they can be made much stronger than SS, im still a bit antsy. im perfectly willing to trust the main chains though, one alone will hang the whole boat...

old dog, new tricks i guess...

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Personally Im not a fan of Bob stays nor bow sprits. They are always vulnerable and interfere with the anchor and chain.

I still use a spin pole for down wind sails...its much more versitile.