Actual real life boat being built

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Verytricky, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Ok, consider yourself left....

I race a boat that is similar in concept to this boat. We averaged 76mph on an calm race day. When it really roughed up, we averaged 73mph... ( Class 3C boats average 87mph in calm seas, and 51mph in rough seas. - Figures from National championship finals, which had one very calm day, and one very rough day.. )

So this boat design tends not to drop of speed in the rough as much as other boats tend to do. We do go slower in the rough....

BUT! I did obtain the British V24 Offshore speed record at Bournmouth with an AVERAGE speed of 81mph over two runs of 1.8 miles distance ( pier to pier records 2008 )

That was in a sea state of 4!

The afternoon record attempts were cancelled due to the sea state, but I was allowed one last run, as I tended to get better speeds in the rougher seas. This is when I set the record.

This was in a V24, which despite its name is only 21 foot long with a 320 Hp engine....

2. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

V24 = 21foot = heavy laminate = 890kg bare hull
    Bananashark boat = 34 foot = clever laminate schedule = 845kg bare hull

V24 has a rather flat 'pointy end' which slams into the sea a bit
    Bananashark has a rather interesting 'pointy end' that acts very much like a knife for the initial contact with a wave, but then swells as it goes along to stop a stuufing. I think Yipster will have the correct technical terminology for that. Very clever stuff - means you can almost run at 0 degrees to the drive, and the design of the hull and steps puts in the correct angle of attack for the hull and the right handling of the waves automagically.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Alright, keep safe mate !

4. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Will try.
    The scariest thing in my life right now is a one year old baby and my missus!:rolleyes:

5. yipster

yipster designer

i can see it before me but from the top of my head miss out on the correct technical terminology rite now :eek:
    i'm downloading a cfd trial tho and may wanna check on that fenomena too :cool: oeps dinner is on..

6. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    cathedral strakes perhaps? no takers?
    and my first babysteps in the cfd trial

Attached Files:

• cfd.png
      cfd.png
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  7. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

I can't wait to see in-water shots of this boat. It looks amazing!!!!! Nice work!!!!!!

8. Cookee

Cookee Boat builder and racer

As Tricky has said the first boat will have Arnesons and we are fitting Yanmar BY260's which are based on the 3 litre BMW blocks, as they are common rail motors they will be very economical and only use a maximum of 2.6 litres per mile at wide open throttle (if the boat goes as fast as we hope) which should be 70mph. the weight limit for this class (UIM Marathon Class E) will be 2460kg and we hope to get as close to that as possible with no fuel.

We have other projects on and have to satisfy our customers needs before our own - one boat delivered before Christmas and another next month looking like one of these:

Attached Files:

9. Cookee

Sorry for the lack of recent updates, as mentioned before we have a Phantom 19 in the mould as well as working on the 34.

Photo 1 shows the foam and balsa in the 19 and the second and third photos show the seats and foam supports for the bulkheads - this is to prevent a "Hard Spot" on the hull. The last photo is of the support for the engine room bulkhead.

We've entered Cowes!

Attached Files:

10. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

You do nice work! And some really sweet boats!!

11. Cookee

The forward bulkhead is in now and we're working on the seat bases which will also provide strength for the floor in the cockpit - photos soon for them.

Attached Files:

12. Cookee

Replacement engine mounts for the cast aluminium items - they will be joined together in pairs to stabilise the engine in the boat.

[​IMG]

Our new gantry crane - it will lift both engines in at once (engines are under the covers). Two Yanmar BY 260's

[​IMG]

The plug for the rear end is almost finished, this will be removed from the boat and turned in to a mould and then the actual part. The seam where you can see the join will disappear when finished. Phantom 19 deck now has its first matt and the seat bases are started.

[​IMG]

13. DickT

DickT Junior Member

14. Cookee

Odd way to build a boat from a boatbuilders point of view but I guess they're trying to achieve different things, although to be relevant to the real world I would have thought a boat made with spray rails and without a steel structure would give better results?

The motors have been test fitted now - more details on our Facebook page which can be accessed via our website bananasharkracing.com

[​IMG]

15. Cookee

Kitten has finished mounting the motors now - steel inserts in the stringers and lots of steelwork on the hog to hold the motors.

[​IMG]

The motors have their own mobile trolleys for moving them around now - you can also see the ZF gearbox and UJ.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.