Actual real life boat being built

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Verytricky, Dec 9, 2009.

1. MrW

MrW Junior Member

Nice update. How did You join the deck with hull? Just fiberglass?

2. Cookee

Cookee Boat builder and racer

Gel, mat, balsa and more mat, the idea is to have the same layup as the bottom, sides and deck of the boat to make a single structure without any one seam or join - every layer is staggered to achieve this.

We will end up with an incredibly strong boat, but it has to be tilted onto its side whilst still in the mould - quite an achievement with a 34' hull still in its mould!

3. Cookee

What we did this week! Two views of the pick-up arrangement for the custom GRP fuel tanks - it's a diesel boat and this is made using Scott Bader's diesel proof resin, the hose will be attached to the brass pick-up and the tank is divided into two.

The boat has been joined on the port side already and we are working on the starboard side now, the boat still inside the moulds is a bit of a weight and so needs careful handling to turn it on its side!

Hope to get the boat out in the next few days.

The other boat is a Phantom 19 that we also make for racing - that will be racing next season in Offshore Circuit Racing.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. 26 Spyder

26 Spyder Squadron XII Fanatic

What resin are you using? How long are you waiting between additional layers of material? Any additional prep before each layer?

Thanks.

5. Cookee

Polyester resin, no extra prep between layers and we put the next layer in as soon as possible - we don't work 24 hours though!

6. Cookee

A big day today, we released the deck last night and floated the hull free in the mould after turning it back to the upright position. The next step is to make lifting points, move it outside and lift the hull out of the mould - put the two halves of the mould together and get the boat back in the workshop for fitting out - more photos to follow!

Attached Files:

7. yipster

yipster designer

working hard Cookee, getting quit a looker :eek:

8. 26 Spyder

Gotcha, thanks. New pics look awesome!

9. Cookee

It's out of the mould guys! Very proud of what we have achieved - Kevin and Willy have worked wonders since last Christmas and it looks like it's doing 100mph just sat there! :D

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. 26 Spyder

I love the lines, definitely not mainstream! At least from what runs here in the US.
    Look forward to hearing how it runs. Keep the pics coming!

11. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I think we are all looking forward to see how it runs!!!

12. MrW

MrW Junior Member

Damn. Whole project is just awesome, boat looks really sharp. What type of engines will You guys use on that? Sterndrive, inboard or outboard? Also how many hp?

13. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Personally, given the sea state in the UK, my ideal drive for this boat will be two 550hp engines with twin DPX drives, so it has push the whole time whilst driving. I would expect to do a solid 90mph+ in almost any sea state. In some races the boats are down to 30mph due to the sea state, and I think this hull with this drive setup would definately not worry about the rough!

The first boat will be fitted with surface drives, which will be vey quick in the small slop, but I fear will loose traction, over-rev and have continual engine retarding in the very rough.... This will not be as bad as with other surfave drive boats of this length - the design itself helps the boat sit in th ewater more and is much less flighty in rough water.

But what do I know? It is just a feeling based on looking at other similar boats, and really - there is NOTHING similar in design out there at this time...

14. 26 Spyder

Updates?

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I hope nothing went wrong doing 90mph plus in " almost any sea state " ! Leave me out of that one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.