Actual real life boat being built

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Verytricky, Dec 9, 2009.

1. rebar

rebar Junior Member

Iv got a chubby:D :D

No seriously.. Beautiful boat and keep posting pics please.

Easy.. Looks to me like the two steps do increase a bit like you figured. And they both get a huge gulp of air. You wouldnt want rocker in the hull bottom and the right amount "hook" can eliminate big trim tabs.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Rebar,
    Yes and rocker would not be good. Also it looks to me like the 2nd step next to the transom has less deadrise. Makes sense in that the stability on plane should come from there. I wonder if there is a disiplined body of knowledge about "spray rails". Tricky called them "spray rails' but they aren't really spray rails as it appears to me that the primary function is to increase lift so as to be able to drive the very deep hull very fast. Lifting strakes would seem more appropriate to me so you see I don't even know what to call them much less how big should they be, or how many should there be, or should they be cupped ect but I do know if your'e "chubby" is a CHB you don't need spray whatevers. I would like to have a CHB.

Easy

3. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

I really enjoy seeing what has been posted so far as this project comes to life!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us all here. And I can't wait to see the next round of pictures!!!

4. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I also call the left side of the boat "the left side of the boat" :)

I am sure there is a proper term for spray rails, and unfortunately there are UIM rules about how many you can have, their size and angle and also the type of 'V' and type of pad as well as the amount of sweep back you could have on the steps - and other rules you have to take note of in order to have the boat qualify as a 'monohull' for their racing purposes.

5. Cookee

Cookee Boat builder and racer

A bit more progress - the two rear sections of spray rails are now covered in Formica and the curved forward rails are painted and polished, the whole running surface has been polished and the sides are now on and flat and waiting for the "Formica Treatment".

Once all of that is done the next stage will be attaching the flange and making the hull mould, turning it over and starting on the other side.

The boat will be "Seamless" with no rubrail so it will be joined from the inside whilst all being still in the moulds - the first time we will see the finished boat it will come out all joined together!

Attached Files:

6. yipster

yipster designer

looks good and thanks for keeping us updated, let me ask if i'm understanding this
    meaning a strong single part (hull and deck) boat from molds that open later rite?

1 person likes this.
  7. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Just a quicky: this seems to have caused some confusion - probably my fault.

The top deck of this boat is *not* my design, and has nothing to do with me.

The hull of this boat is taken from the 1/5th scale model I got BananaShark Racing to build for me (This has been detailed in a previous thread.) I did not have the cash to build a full scale boat, and the project ended there.

However, Bananashark liked the way the hull performed in tests, and wanted to use it for their own boat. Bananashark bought all rights to the design, and they adapted it to fit the top deck of a 36 foot racing boat they had designed seperately.

I do still feel like I 'own' the design, and I call it 'my' boat, but I am legally nothing more than a casual observer who is excited seeing thoughts and ideas become reality. Bananashark built the original model and could have simply have taken the design and used it for their boat - It seems to be the done thing these days - but they did not. They very honestly bought all the rights for the design from me, and I am very very happy with the way things have worked out.

1 person likes this.
  8. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

You are more or less correct.
    The guys have experiance building boats to survive the rough UK waters: and 'join' always seems to be a weak point. I have broken my V24 on the joint about every fifth race ( yes, I am a bad driver! )

So this one will not have a joint as such. The moulds will be partially laminated, then clamped together and the 'join' completed with the boat halves in their finished state. Access via the canopy back door, and a brave man laminating inside the shell. When the mould is cracked open, there will be a completed boat, not two halves still to be joined. This should mean that even drivers like me can not break it!!

9. Cookee

What Tricky said! :D

10. Cookee

Now the sides are on and Formica glued on we are working on making all of the corners and edges perfect. We have also removed the rear extension to make the mould simpler and to accommodate outboards. The extension will then be only fitted for inboard setups.

Attached Files:

11. Cookee

Full steam ahead now, the first gel coat for the mould went on last Friday, the second today and the last tomorrow morning, after which we can start laying up the mould, turn it over and do the top half. The boat will have no obvious join line and appear "seamless", hence the flange with the locations (half ping pong balls).

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

I may have a pair of 300's laying about in my garden that we can strap onto the first hull out the mould for testing purposes. Then I also happen to have a 34 foot trailer laying about in my garden to tow the hull to Plymouth. I also happen to have a few fuel tanks laying about in my garden that might work as well... :)

Top deck not required for testing!

13. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

OK, I think I understand the intent of your design, except for the strakes. Why that many, not more or less?

Why full length?

Why don't they line up with strakes on the next step (at least, they look like they don't line up, maybe it was just the perspective in the photo).

14. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Strakes are not rocket science...... :)

Each section of hull is considered individually. They are there to provide the 'correct' ammount of lift for the section of hull they are working for. As such they will be in different depths of water and have different characteristics to impart onto the hull.

Part of Why that many is because of their size and the UIM rules on %. Mostly it is that many as that many is what was required to give the characteristic we wanted.

Their location was origionally calculated, but the model was built without, and they were added later during testing. Suprisingly it was found that their locations that worked best in testing were also the calculated locations, which was quite a good thing.

15. Cookee

The stiffening is all on the mould now and the steelwork has all been fitted for turning the plug and mould over for completion of the deck plug and making the other half of the mould. Photos to follow of the turning over process!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.