Cuba Supply Vessel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Mar 18, 2008.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

...from another subject thread
    I agree with your observations here Tad. In the late 90's I made a trip down to Cuba to explore and to look at a few business possibilties, as I felt we might be on the route of normalizing some of our relationships with them (well that got totally screwed up when George & Jeb Bush reverted to our old ways in order to get the Cuban vote in Fla).

One of the two best business options I came up with, that when things opened up there would be a mad rush by the resort hotelers to open up new resorts. That meant a high demand to get building materials to multiple ocean-side sites in Cuba. I looked at their rail and road systems and said these routes were not capable of accomplishing this in their present poor condition, and particularly since they are not expansive enough to reach some of these multiple sea-side locations.

Why not a shallow draft delivery vessel capable of landing these building materials right at the shore-side construction site. And this vessel would not likely have to be 'ocean going' as it would make an express run from the lower west coast of Fla (where the American railroad system ends) right straight down to a shallow beach landing area of the resort hotel construction. :idea: Multihull vessel with jet drives. :cool:

And in a business cash-flow model, wouldn't it be nice to do this business with Cuba without having to depend on a monetary payment from their government, nor a Cuban business entity......You got paid by the American entity who wanted those materials on site ASAP. You might have even demanded payment up front prior to departing USA.

I'll post a couple of concept pics I saved. Maybe a couple of units like these scaled down in size??

Attached Files:

2. brian eiland

Be Prepared

Considering that it is a definite possibility we will have a new administration coming into power, and hopefully one that recognizes that we must finally get on to the business of doing business with Cuba, maybe its time to start some planning???

3. Knox

Knox Junior Member

kick the idiot out of power and all is well and good
    nice looking boat you have there

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Brian,

I think you, and Tad in his original post, are on to something. Landing craft, some actual WWII surplus and other lighter small craft based on that concept have been used in various capacities serving small islands and other remote beaches. Updating the concept based on the fast ferry multihulls makes sense. Shallow draft and ramp loading would be keys to success; costs could be kept down as huge powerplants and high speed would not be critical.

Competion for low cost delivery to a remote site would probably be a tug/shallow draft barge. Contractors/developers will be looking for the lowest cost, not caring what it is. You would have to prove some hard benefits vs alternatives, and good ROI.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

You are correct Charlie, a tug and barge will be cheaper (existing) transportation. For longer hauls in areas of trade or consistant wind a multihull sailing freighter might have some advantage. But high speed (the INCAT) is completely out!

This is a really rough outline to carry 4TEU in the holds, two standard 40' containers or 4 20's. I can see adding a further 4-5 athwartships on top of the first 4 if they aren't heavily loaded. The rig needs a great deal of further development.

95sailfreighter.jpg

1 person likes this.
  6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

It will be interesting to see when sail freighters become competitive again, due to operating costs.

7. Knox

Knox Junior Member

i like that design
    i do hope that there will be more sail freighters

1 person likes this.
  8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

It's been done, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Attached Files:

9. murdomack

murdomack New Member

That's what you call living on the edge. Do you think the bouyancy from the empty(?) drums would save them, it's about 2,400 lbs per side.
    I hope those in the cab have done their HUET (helicopter underwater escape training)

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

That's one of the more sophisticated efforts. You have to admire the courage of people who actually make the sacrifices and take the risks to change their situation. I don't want to get into politics, just admiring the courage and ingenuity of those people.

11. brian eiland

Confronting Customs & Cuba's Energy Problems

Rather less obvious to vessel design enthusiast is the question of ‘customs obligations & procedures’ when landing these special vessels & their cargo onto Cuban soil outside of the ‘traditional ports’.

When I visited Cuba it was onboard a pleasure built catamaran, and we had occasion to exit and re-enter a few ports along the north coast. The experiences with Cuban customs were, lets say,’challenging’ ones. I termed it the combination of the Spanish propensity for paper work and the Russian propensity for officialdom, or vice versa if you wish. Suffice it to say it will be necessary to work out an ‘arrangement’.

‘Arrangements’ in these situations can often be facilitated with greater ease if you bring something else to the table. Monetary bribes to the officialdom, either local or national are not going to be adequate or risk-free for this commercial venture....not an option

Rather I propose to implement my second business prospect:

This 2nd plan involves energy for the country….a subject that is plaguing many countries nowadays, both in cost & availability. Cuba is surely lacking in energy capabilities, and when it opens up to world trade it will surely demand this resource immediately. Its Russian oil supply has dried up, and the nuclear reactor that was under construction has not, and probably will never be completed.

I have a fantastic idea for them, but I can not reveal it on this forum for commercial reasons. Bringing this energy capability to them should insure one’s preferential status for other business activities in the country. (And this energy model is not just Cuba specific)

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Good idea, Brian, alternative energy is a fertile area for business ventures.

Don't be misled into thinking that such an approach will grease the ways for related ventures to have streamlined customs clearance, however. That only works in absolute dictatorships, where a paper from the head guy guarantees easy passage everywhere. Bureaucracies in legitimate governments thrive on paperwork and procedures but, more importantly, on turf protection. The fact that you're "in" with one department can actualy be an impediment to dealing with others, as they must demonstrate that they are, in fact, separate departments not subservient to the first.

Energy for a less developed country is a great business venture. Just don't expect it to make bureaucracies turn into facilitators. :)

13. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"and hopefully one that recognizes that we must finally get on to the business of doing business with Cuba, maybe its time to start some planning???"

Cuba currently trades with the entire world , and could get anything in the world, if they could simply PAY for it.

The ONLY thing Cuba wants from the USA is Credit , so they can purchase the goods of the world , in spite of a totally failed economic system.

Trade with them will only be profitable on "paper" ,
    the bag holder will be the taxpayers as usual,holding up the EX-IM bank.

FF

14. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

sail freighters

'
    I heard they are experimenting with using the kind of windsurfer sails that fly like kites to supplement freighter power. Will this be the new spinaker for long distance cruising. As there is no need to fly it from the top of the mast, heeling moment will be zero, and visibility to other ships will be huge especialy with a radar reflective material on them. Reefing may be a simple draw string to depower them.
    They may replace traditional sails on all points of sail except to windward.
    Brent

15. brian eiland

It's About Time !!, relaxing restrictions

Sail Cuba - Coming at last for American sailors?

News that the Obama Administration may lift travel restrictions relating to Cuba could mean that American cruising sailors in the Caribbean would have a whole new sailing ground opened up.

It might also mean that ship wrecked sailors would no longer rund the risk of ending up in jail in Cuba as happened recently to two hapless American sailors from Florida

Robert Vassallo and Angellette Smith never intended to break the law and go to Cuba, they merely set out from Key West to circle Grand Cayman Island and Jamaica, and be home in a week. Angellette hadn't even taken her passport!

After a few days, however, the weather turned against them, and after two days of struggling in strong winds and 20 ft seas, they were exhausted and anchored off the Cuban shore to get some rest. It was not to be. Their 38ft boat dragged anchor and was washed onto a reef. They struggled off the rocks and went in search of help in the dark of the night, but found everyone asleep. Not wanting to wake sleeping Cubans, they returned to the boat and went to sleep to wait for morning.

However, in the morning they found themselves surrounded by Cuban police, who arrested them, and the next day whisked them off to a Cuban jail because of their lack of proper documentation.

The story ends well, of course, as they were assisted by American officials in Havana, and, while they spent Christmas Day in a smelly jail with bad food, they were released after three days and were home by New Year.

This kind of incident could be a thing of the past if Cuba, and therefore the seas around it, are opened to American citizens.

Yes, from cruisers who have already been there, Cuba is a magical destination with some of the world’s finest beaches, a rich cultural heritage and a vibrant approach to life. The people are friendly to a fault, and show a fascinating blend of Latin American, Spanish and African cultures.

The balmy trade winds come from the north east, so it makes sense to sail the southerly lee shore from west to east, and circumnavigate that way if that's your desire. Diving and snorkeling show some exquisite coral reefs, and of course there's much to enjoy after the sun goes down and the salsa rythms begin.

With things moving fast in the new administration, it maybe won't be long before the marinas, anchorages and harbours of Cuba are full of exploring Americans.

Roger Strube is one American who can't wait, and describes himself as 'ecstatic' at the thought : 'When it happens I plan to spend at least 6 months circumnavigating Cuba in my multihull, Millennium Dragon, ' he told Sail-World Cruising last week.' and please let us know when the Key West to Havana race will be opened up!'

We'll be watching....

by Nancy Knudsen
    Sail World

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.