ABYC is there a standard for how far from the transom water pickups can be installed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fpjeepy05, Jan 28, 2013.

1. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

I'm re-powering a 42 Welcraft and there is absolutely no room in the engine compartment to install the thur-hulls for raw water pickup. The closest place would be as soon as you go down stairs into the cabin with is roughly 18ft from the transom on a 42 ft boat. I don't want these pickups to air out at hump speed but I really have no other choice as to where to install them. I can get a closer measurement but I'm guessing 18ft which is about 45% of the LWL forward of the transom. I can get them pretty low in the hull, probably within a foot from the keel. Closer if I stagger them one just in front of the other.
    Thoughts?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That seems like too far forward for that kind of boat. You only need one through-hull fitting to feed two engines. I assume you have V8s, so there should be some space in between though.

3. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Can you post a picture? Is it a scarab excaliber or which one?

I agree - not too far forward - I'd find a tight place to fit pickups in the engine compartment.

Mercruiser also makes transom mount water pickups part # Quicksilver 88845-1

Attached Files:

4. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

Welcraft 42 Excalibur Eagle. Yanmar 6LP straight 6's straight shaft. And they are packed in there right next to each other. I flipped the handle and the Allen pin on one of the seacocks and I was able to fit them staggered in between the engine beds. Not the most convenient place, but life or death I could get to them to shut them off.

Thanks for the help though gonzo, and IMP-ish

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.