Brass or not, CE ratings??

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by powerabout, May 10, 2012.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

http://www.powerboat-world.com/index.cfm?nid=97048

"Apparently the CE Standard was rewritten in 1998 to require that fittings need only be corrosion resistant for five years. Some boatbuilders quickly began using common brass instead of DZR brass, silicon bronze, stainless steel or composites for skin fittings and valves.
    Common brass is much cheaper."

Things must be falling out of EU boats now so the industry is having a closer look??

2. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Apparently

Since when do journalist use the wording "apparently"? For some real journalism they should do proper research as eg going to the ISO site http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=16682 http://infostore.saiglobal.com/Stor...CS Code&sval1=47.080&gICSCode=47.080&pageNo=2 (for the Aussies)
    and downloading the standard, you will then find that the latest version is from 1994:

3.3 corrosion-resistant
    material used for a fitting which, within a service time of five years, does not display any defect that will impair tightness, strength or function.

It would be interesting to know what the Australians are requiring assuming they do not follow the International standard.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I think the issue is there is not a material spec only a 5 yr spec

4. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

Taniwha,

For an Australian builders plate for small recreational craft, Australia allows the use of ABYC, ISO Standards, or Australian AS1799. But you can't pick and choose between the organizations - you have to pick the standard you intend to use and stick with it.

For what it's worth ISO 9093-1 for metalic thru-hulls and seacocks is from Dec of 1997, but says the same thing.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

so ISO boats all sink in their 6th year?

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

If it states:

"within a service time of five years, does not display any defect that will impair tightness, strength or function."

I would presume it would last longer than six years, however I think the intention is that most hulls in commercial use will get a major tear-down, inspection and refit on a 5 year cycle, as necessary. So lower cost fittings can be used.

For recreational boats, the average ownership is about six years. So the next owner will have to worry about it, not the manufacturer.

7. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

I just hope people get an out of water inspection more often than just every 5 years, this is an adequate period to inspect your fittings and change them if needed.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

How about valve type?
    does ISO allow gatevalves?

9. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

It is astounding what kind of value you got...in most products 30 years ago or more...and yet... what is equally astounding is the kind of crap you get now for twice that much even adjusted for inflation...but whatever...this is not a new pronouncement...Things change...life goes on....corporations get richer...and vote like people now...wtf had happened to the USA...Supreme Court Chief justice is a freakin' tool of the establishment....that is at least a given...

10. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Soul,

It is still possible to get whatever quality parts you want. The reality is that most people won't spend the money (myself included). Why should I pay for a bronze fitting that will last for 100 years? The boat won't last that long.

The problem is people buy the cheap crap, then complain it doesn't last as long. Pay more and you can get more.

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Why should I pay for a bronze fitting that will last for 100 years?

To be able to sleep at night?

The best tho is for many boating is a hobby , , just boating ,

not rebuilding/ replacing cheap garbage found on a boat.

FF

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

No problem in the US its all value for money
    as for the rest of the world.....

13. souljour2000

You right stumble.. .you's get what you's pay for.. I felt better after I vented though..I think...:rolleyes:

14. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Fast,

I will sell you a seacock/ball fitting guaranteed to last 1000 years. If it fails we will pay to haul your boat wherever in the world it is, fly our experts to fix it, and while we are at it repaint the bottom of your boat if need be. It only costs $1,000,000 per valve. Alternatively you can buy siliconized bronze with no zinc that will reasonably last 50 years, or brass that will last 5.

The reality is that we all make compromises in lifespan for price. And if you think you are buying the best, unless you are paying for custom machined titanium parts you aren't, you just made a different compromise than someone else.

15. souljour2000

Okay..question...I have now owned some older late 60's/early 70's boats...my first "big boat" Hunter 20 (1981) was newer than I imagined at the time..lol... anyways...my C-29 had original sea-cocks still when I sold her...(no surprises there for the gallery who know me)...and they were a nice "Hunter" green...with that nice "patina" bronze gets...I moved very gingerly around them whenever in close proximity...hope the people I sold her to do the same or get the thing hauled ...but anyways...they were in "open" position and I never messed with that as they were for sink and cockpit drains and y-valve for the old flush and forget tank was in " closed"... (1966 ,remember?) Anyways...I dont know what you guys mean when your talking bronze yet...I know what marelon is...and nylon of course..I dont like that stuff btw...but anybody evnture a guess as to what those were in the Columbia ...is that silicon bronze they were made of? My '71 Seafarer had them too..seemed fine as long as long as you never tried to move the handles from their open position...and I never did...probably learned not to do that in here first... that's why...lol

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.