Boat building for Orphans Project

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by El Faro, Apr 3, 2006.

1. El Faro

El Faro New Member

I'm a US citizen living in the southern most state of Mexico, Chiapas. I'm the director of a non-profit agency that has begun caring for orphans. Our goal is to put into place buisnesses that will give some of the orphans a skill while at the same time supplying valuable resources for the continuance of the ranch.
    We are located 15 minutes from the Pacific ocean. There is currently only one boat builder for the whole Chiapas coast and a very untapped sport fishing market. Looking for molds etc. Yet of course we like most organizations operate on a limited budget yet we can offer tax deductions for any worthy donation. Ideas and suggestions welcome.

2. lucas12

lucas12 Junior Member

I just want to say firstly whst the general picture looks like from your post, and then suggest other alternatives for you to self start a cash flow for the orphans support, and a skill learning base as well as the many other advantages of keeping idle hands busy.

The first picture in my mind was 'Sweat shop' and little kids breathing in carsenagenic vapours from fibreglass, while you reap the rewards of cheap labour. Have to be honest !
    Perhaps it might be a better idea to build traditional wooden boats, these skills in the 21st century are at a decline and those with money will pay for 'art' in the form of traditional skills used to build something 'retro'
    Mind you you would really need to know your stuff through and through, nothing worse than a boat that leaks.

3. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Yeh...... good deal with the sea, we donate u find kids to do dust collecting..... I am Indonesian, even I dont do that kind of promotion.

Attached Files:

4. jedclampit

jedclampit Junior Asparagus

I'm sorry that some people are cold...and non-understanding. I've have donated my time to build orphanages in third world countries, so I know what you are going through. Children are the future of our world and it’s a shame that they all don’t have the same advantages as we did when we were kids.

I like the idea of helping the children learn a trade, but I think that wooden boat building would be better than fiberglass, but there may not be a market for wooden boats. Maybe volunteers or adult orphans or locals could work with the chemicals and fiberglass and the older teens and kids could learn cabinetry, joinery, mechanics, electrical, and upholstery.

I would research what demands there are in the marketplace where you will be selling your boats and then plan accordingly. I’m sure there will be people here in this forum that can point you in the right direction when you have an idea what you want to build.

I wish there was something that I could do to help, but I’m a novice builder.

Good luck.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Im sure he was thinking about small wooden fishing boats,,,guys

6. lucas12

lucas12 Junior Member

Wellydeckhad, has a really average sense of humor. It is a forum and you will get useless comments that should mostly be ignored, even by myself at times.

Anyway, If you were going to start a business building boats or making hire boats or whatever seemed marketable within your enviroment, the first thing you'd do is a feasability study, then start the research, then the plan.
    I assume there's alot of intelligent people using this forum, with at least one exception Welly "Prove us wrong", that El Faro could get all the necessary advice from, but he has to have an idea of 'marketabilty' within his region.
    If the market has strength in the 'untapped' market and there is one boat builder. Who is doing all the repairs ?
    At least if there is opportunity for the local market to absorb an extra builder, he needs to walk before he can run, I would suggest that try to make friends with the opposition (the only boat builder) and try to take on the laborious work at least to learn what goes on and start getting a feel for what's available in the local market.
    But don't scare the (local boaty) just tell him your intensions of keeping the orphans busy and paid, for his benefit !!!
    It's not lying it's business. And any of you that deal with people who run their own businesses, know full well that business friendships are based on scratching each others backs, and to politacly avoid getting kicked in the teeth strategicly, If you achieve you'll be respected if you let the other guy sqaush your ambition you'll get none.
    So all that said, I'd look at making friends and spell out your intensions to provide a service of whatever with him (in a way he feels comfortable)
    If the market will only support one business, you'd be amazed what can happen when you effectively take money out of someones pocket.