ABS Rules for Vessel intended for towing operations - Stability

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Niru, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Niru

Niru Mr.

Good Day!

I just wanted to ask your opinion on this matter.

Looking at the attached "diagram" file - what is your understanding to the 40 degrees boundary for the residual dynamic stability?

versus the

5 Intact Stability Criteria
    v) the area of residual dynamic stability upto an angle of 40 degrees plus the angle of the first intercept etc....

for example first intercept at 5 degrees.

will it be = for the Area of RDS = 5 degrees upto 40 degrees

or

will it be = for the Area of RDS = 5 degrees upto 45 degrees (+40 degrees)

any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Niru

The diagram and text is very clear. The range, or extent, of the applicability is up to 40 degrees. Therefore whatever angle the heeling arm intersects with the GZ curve you add up to 40 degree as the maximum. The reason for the wording of "..up to..." is because in some cases the shape of the GZ curve and the heeling arm may be very different from that shown in the diagram. Therefore to ensure adequate stability the phrase ... up to .... is used. Meaning a maximum.

So in your example if the intersect is at 5 degrees, the range is from 5 degree to 45 degrees absolute (45-5 = 40).

But if you GZ curve meant that the range is let's say just 30 degrees...it does not mean you keep extending the range to 40 degrees. Since the curve means it is no longer possible, thus the range becomes less. Similarly if the shape of the curve meant you could - could - have more than 40 degrees, you cannot use this additional range. Because the phrase - up to - is used, i.e a maximum.

Trust this helps?

3. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

There is no difference between both wordings, because the area of RDS is defined as the area "to the right from the first intercept".
    So the heel angle from 0 to the first intercept contains no area of RDS.

This is the way, I understand it.

4. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

In many cases for smaller vessels like tugs, the angle of downflooding is the angle beyond which no area accumulation is permitted for any intact stability or other stability criteria.
    In other words, some downflooding point on a smaller vessel is going to become submerged before you reach 40 degrees or whatever cutoff range is mandated.

5. Niru

Niru Mr.

Noted.

Many Thanks Sirs'

results on the analysis. tug vessels are sister ships but with different lightship and center of gravities (lcg & vcg)

Attached Files:

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think that the rule does not speak of a range of 40 degrees but of a maximum value of heeling of 40 degrees. But this is just my interpretation.
    On the other hand, calculate the area under the curve of GZ to heeling angles greater than downflooding angle, it does not make sense

7. Niru

Niru Mr.

Good PM.

Point taken.

i have to consider the downflooding angle...

i guess ill just have to revised the results.

thanks for noticing.

8. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hi Niru,
    What has received after the record of downflooding points?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.