fuel tank question

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Dawgs, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Dawgs

Dawgs Junior Member

i am replacing my tank. i pulled the aluminum one and want to replace it with a plastic. i found the perfect fit. only thing is the fill would be about 6 feet away from the outside fill tube and i would have to make a bend with the hose. do you think that would be ok? is that too far of a run?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

How much of a bend? Six feet is not too far as long as it is all down hill. Can you post a sketch and give us something to look at?

3. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

You got the resident experts opinion on that one.

Sometimes you are forced to give some extra length to make connections prior to sliding the tank into place. Mine lasted 20 years like that without problems, I replaced with a similar setup.

Seems doubtful they would make an uphill climb, eh?

Mike

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Mike, I know it sounds like a funny question and it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But you would be surprised at how many fuel fill lines I've seen that are just hanging there with a low point lower than the top of the tank. But then, maybe you wouldn't. And then the owner complains that they can't fill up the tank, and it backs up in the hose!

Anyway we can't tell from the info given if this will be ok or not.

5. Dawgs

Dawgs Junior Member

im not sure how to post a sketch but i can assure you that the hose will not be lower than the top of the tank at any point. the problem i run into is if i put the tank in the way in question. the fill would be on the wrong side. i would have to run the fill hose over the tank...it would actually be laying on top of the tank and then i would have to make a bend between the stringer and the fill on the tank. the space there would be about 5 or 6 inches. i think i can make it without a kink in the hose

6. Dawgs

Dawgs Junior Member

ok im trying to post a sketch

Attached Files:

• tank.JPG
      tank.JPG
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Dawgs

Dawgs Junior Member

ok white line is the hose....red square is the tank...black square is the tank compartment

view from the top

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  8. masalai

masalai masalai

To reduce the "dreaded blowback" when fueling up I would guess at trying to prevent dips in the pipe that act as an air-lock - possibly a PVC pipe cut in half to guide your fuel hose in a steady slope to the tank... I am no expert just thinking aloud.... With luck someone with greater expertise will be attracted by this seeking to howl me down :D:D

9. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Oh, I see now, Ike. It doesn't really surprise me...I've seen some pretty weak improvisations.

Anyway, Dawg, since the tank is out, very accessible and therefore easy to work on...I would probably try to swing the tank inlet around 180 degrees. Maybe you would even find that aiming 90 degrees to the "aft" would make a more favorable shot from the fill. Possibly even 98.6 degrees.

Can you do that?

Mike

10. masalai

masalai masalai

- pedantic aren't we? better make that 96.62 degrees to clear that other thingie :D:D:D:D:D - if you can measure better than 10 degrees, curled up like a baby in the womb, whilst scratching left ear with right foot - good on you:p:p

11. Dawgs

Dawgs Junior Member

huh? anyway i ordered the tank. unfortunately the fill is molded into the tank so i cant turn it. i guess well see what happens....ill let you guy know how it works out

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Dawgs, do get the black pipe. That white one on your picture isn't going to make it, it looks all warn out already :rolleyes:

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

If the fill is on that end, where is the vent?. When installed, the vent line should be at the highest point of the tank. By that I mean, as installed. So if the tank sits on an angle the vent needs to be on the high end. Other wise it will blow back when you try to fill it, and you will never be able to completely fill the tank.

14. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Is the tank inlet a hose spigot end or does it have a thread.? I am thinking about the tight bend in your hose as it reaches the tank. Being stressed and with engine vibration it may eventually start to weep when the tank has been filled and diesel is still in the hose. it wouldn't be a lot but any diesel spill is a smelly nuisance.
    When you come to choose your hose the cataloques will normally give you the minimum bend radius that can be achieved for each diameter. If you are close to the minimum you could make a double clamp arrangement to take the strain of the bend so that your joint is then stress free.
    If you don't have enough space for the min. radius then you may need to introduce a bend which will mean more joints but a smoother stress free hose. I have seen aluminium and stainless bends on the web, when I was modifying welding plant air inlets to fit auto shut off valves last year, I ended up using silicon bends but I dont think they would suit your need. Try searching for "elbow tangent 90", you will find all sorts, but you may be able to find one that will fit in your hose. Use a short piece of hose to fit the elbow to the tank spigot.
    Hopefully you will get the hose to bend in the space available and save on all the hassle.
    Others have suggested ways of supporting your hose run to prevent sagging.

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsDetail.aspx?id=1520

15. Dawgs

Dawgs Junior Member

well i bought the tank and the hose. not sure what brand hose it is. i will check. but the new hose doesnt seem to be nearly as rigid as the old. seems like i will be able to make the bend no problem. ill keep you guys posted

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.