About make fiberglass in keel.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dannie_ga, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dannie_ga

dannie_ga New Member

I had question for the keel.
    The boat is 32' deep-v type, use 350hp stern drive, how much depth is needed for the keel? My friend told me only 3~4mm is enough, is possible? And which specifications of fiberglass is needed using? 450,800? Echo how many layers does it cost?

Thanks all!
    Dannie

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A structural laminate (like used in a keel) needs to be calculated by the loads it may be expected to tolerate, with a reasonable margin of safety worked in. Impact and penetration resistance are also a considerations.

With some experience a decent laminator, familiar with the general class of vessel they're working on, can make a fair guess as to the laminate schedule. If in doubt, the wise course of action is have a person with known engineering or lamination abilities, rough in a schedule for you.

Short of this, you can use Dave Geer's guide lines ("Elements of Boat Strength") on laminates for the type of build you are working with.