About keel structure

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Steph357, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Steph357

Steph357 Junior Member

Hello every one,

I am currently on a personnal project, designing a small sailing boat in FRP.

I am currently thinking of my keel structure, but I am looking for sketches, drawing or pictures of something already existing on the web.

Do you know any website where I could find those ?

My keel is 60 centimeters long, 1.2 Meters deep with 0.7 tons of lead underneath.

Cheers.

2. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

You can download the ABS Guide for Building and Classing Offshore Racing Yachts here.

It has specific requirements for engineering the keel attachment structure.

3. stefan.b

stefan.b Junior Member

For an example of how not to do it, see the MAIB-report on the loss of the keel of Hooligan V

4. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

I read about Hooligan but did not have a copy of the investigation report. Thanks for link. And here's the report for the Cynthia Woods.

5. foxy

foxy Junior Member

The Industry consultation version of ISO 12215-9 can be downloaded at:
    http://www.icomia.com/technical-info/document.asp?TI_ID=31

Note that with the latest update to the ISAF Special Regulations all boats built after June 1 2009 must comply fully with ISO 12215-9 and have their plans certified by one of the "notified bodies" such as Bureau Veritas or RYA. Series built boats which have the date of first build prior to this date are grandfathered in. However any structural modifications to existing boats must be reviewed and comply with the standard. This is a good step forward but probably doesn't go far enough to prevent future disasters.

At any rate, make sure that you study the requirements, understand and follow them. Not a bad idea to have someone else check your results as well.

6. Steph357

Steph357 Junior Member

Thank for all that ^^

7. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Allowable shear stress 0,58 x yield? A bit conservative? Well most of the appendages is probably designed very conservatively, typically tensile and compression the main forces, shear stress not the main force to consider. (well, just as I typed that, a brain cell with a picture of a grounded sailboat popped up behind my eyes...).

Just realized; (hehe) just another way of looking at a number here: 0,58 x shear = Shear Divided by the root no of 3 (as I always do/ done.... and don't see no reason to alter).:idea: :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.