Volvo Penta IPS revealed

Discussion in 'Pod Drives' started by kach22i, Dec 25, 2005.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I understand the advantages of the prop placement and the other features, but this still looks like a crazy design to me. With no skeg or keel protection, every piece of floating net or line will foul your props. And since they're way under the boat how do you free them w/o a swim?

Maybe boating out of North Carolina or Florida is different, be we have a lot of crap (logs, big stuff) floating in the water here in SE Alaska and in the PNW. Since these are designed for high speed travel, when (not if) you run over something the damage is going to be expensive. Fortunately, Volvo thought of that - they've designed the lower unit to rip right off, hopefully leaving your hull intact. Great marketing plan - put really expensive gear in a location where it's really likely to be damaged, and then have it fall off. I bet the insurance companies will start charging boats with these units a higher premium.

What will they think of next? Put the prop sticking forward off of the bow?

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Are conventional pusher designs setup to deflect or cut lines/nets?

They could of defended their design better - seems like a quick/short version. What would one of these do to a manatee in Florida?

http://myfwc.com/manatee/prop/

http://www.manateeworld.com/research.htm

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

"Are conventional pusher designs setup to deflect or cut lines/nets?"

Not necessarily, but... from what I can tell you can't install one in line with a keel or with a skeg in front to provide some protection or you lose that "undisturbed water". They're hanging out there completely exposed. Of course, a couple of exposed shafts/props probably aren't much better, but I don't like them either.

Even if the props aren't fouled, floating stuff (kelp, line, plastic bags, branches) will hang up in the appendage area above the props. Look at the picture and tell me you can't envision that happening again & again.

I had the same thought as you, except substitute "whales" for "manatees" in this part of the world.

This seems like one of those ideas that works great... until it doesn't.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.