Construction Diary Article By Reporter

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by CALANDRA, Feb 13, 2010.

1. CALANDRA

CALANDRA New Member

Hi People...

I told a reporter friend that I am planning to build a boat... he asked me if he could make an article once month with the diary of the construction.

We agreed the first topic would be about the design and material I have choosen and why...

The boat of choice is a 70" motor yacht, that if I can make some profit I plan to sell it when is ready and build another one. If not I will keep it for me. So my choice will also take this in consideration.

I have not choose between planning or semi displacement hull... This is a good start for a question..

1 -What is best Planning or Semi Displacement ? Pros and Cons

2 - For same design if the Steel weight is hipotetically speaking 100 Tons, How much would be the weight on Fiberglass, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber ?

I know this will not be any accurate...

3 - In your opinion what material is:
    The more easy to assemble
    The more fast to assemble
    The lowest cost
    The best to find skilled professionals
    The more value on the resale
    The more easy to resale
    The best and cheapest maintenance

4 - For the alluminum x steel Pros and Cons.. How much more would cost the aluminum over a steel... raw materials and paints ?

5 - For the Carbon Fiber x Fiber Glass Pros and Cons ? How much more a Carbon Fiber would cost

6 - Lets say for the 100T steel Yacht... How much do you think it would weight on carbon fiber ?

7 - Regarding the mould how much would cost to do it if you have a full 3d design archive... how long ?

Any other considerations (maintenance, fuel usage) etc... more then wellcome...

I will post the article when it finish to you...

Tks..
    I would like your input and opinions regarding the following topics considering only power boats: Trawlers, semi-displacement and Planning Hulls.

Which is more easy to construct (considering you will start from a complete Design including cutting plans if metal)

The comments may include Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass Gel Coat and Carbon Fiber...

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

1 -What is best Planning or Semi Displacement ? Pros and Cons
    * Depends on what speed you require yourself. Personally I prefer a displacement boat for sea passages, it is rare that you can do much over 15 knots in a planing boat anyhow at sea. Displacement boats are IN the water, planing boats are ON the water, IN the water is more comfortable.

2 - For same design if the Steel weight is hipotetically speaking 100 Tons, How much would be the weight on Fiberglass, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber ?

* the design displacement will be the same, irrespective of materials, it has to be to float at the DWL. Steel hull and alloy super works well in this size boat...forget carbon fibre unless you are going for speed and light weight.

I know this will not be any accurate...

3 - In your opinion what material is:
    The more easy to assemble......steel, any fool in the world can do repaire
    The more fast to assemble.....hull wise, glass
    The lowest cost....steel
    The best to find skilled professionals.....steel
    The more value on the resale.....steel if correctly done to class survey
    The more easy to resale.....as above for the same reasons
    The best and cheapest maintenance.....never launch it

4 - For the alluminum x steel Pros and Cons.. How much more would cost the aluminum over a steel... raw materials and paints ?
    ....not a lot more, but if displacement, then the steel is cheaper

5 - For the Carbon Fiber x Fiber Glass Pros and Cons ? How much more a Carbon Fiber would cost.....forget it if you have to ask the price

6 - Lets say for the 100T steel Yacht... How much do you think it would weight on carbon fiber ?
    ..........100T

7 - Regarding the mould how much would cost to do it if you have a full 3d design archive... how long ?
    ....you only make a mould if it is done in grp.....and them also only for production, a mould costs about 3x the cost of the product

Any other considerations (maintenance, fuel usage) etc... more then wellcome... use a slow to medium speed single diesel, about 500hp will deliverover 10 knots....hull speed is about that anyhow

...have fun

3. Elena

Elena modusmaris.com

Hi CALANDRA!
    Have you chosen the design?
    There is no possibilitities to contact you by email...
    What do you think about building something like this?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.