help wanted on take apart skiff design

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by scubadude12, Jul 7, 2004.

1. scubadude12

scubadude12 Junior Member

I am about to purchase materials and start building the boat from the free plans at this link http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/issues/186/186-054-1.htm

Since this is my first boat, I would welcome some advice and input. First of all, has anyone built this boat or known anyone who has. How well does it function?
    I chose this boat because I love to fish, and many times will have to fish alone. I don't have a trailer or hitch on my van, and this would fit nicely in my van and should be easy to handle for one person. My main question is: How stable would this boat be? It seems to me (but what do I know LOL) that it is a little narrow for a flat bottom. Could I widen the hull and would I have to move any of the frames on the jig for the plywood to bend around them okay? Would widening the hull improve this boat or opposite effect? I plan to use my old 5HP outboard with this boat. I don't see any specifications on this boat as to weight, or load capacity. Can someone provide this info? I will be using the outboard, carrying trolling motor, battery, huge tackle box,anchor,cooler, etc. Will this boat handle the weight okay and and be steady enough to fish out of. I plan on doing a lot of crappie and hybrid bass fishing. I can only picture getting lucky and hooking a 40 pound striper and ending up fighting it from under water LOL.
    Any input or advise on this project would be greatly appreciated!

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

I skimmed the article and didn’t see any mention of an outboard motor, my advice would be use a good set of oars or stick with the trolling motor. In rough numbers the boat will sink in the water 1 inch for every 90lbs. So add up all the weight, the boat, passengers, gear, everything, and you will know what your draft will be. It should be a fun project and painted up nice it will be an OK row boat for fishing or the kids to play with. But I wouldn’t put a motor on it.

Gary :D

3. duluthboats

Building boats takes patience, welcome to the forum.

4. scubadude12

Thank you for the advice

Thanks for the advice, maybe I should look for a different boat to build. It does mention somewhere about him using this boat was the first time he had used a boat motor, but he did not specify what HP. So, If you think it will not handle a 5HP, I guess I should look for something else. Thanks again for the advice. :)

5. scubadude12

Good advise

Or maybe I will build it and like you suggested just use the trolling motor. I want to get my first taste of building. I really like the unique quality of it bolting together. Easy for one man to handle without having a trailer. Thanks Gary

6. scubadude12

However 1 other question

I still would like to widen this boat for stability while fishing. Do you think it would be okay to widen it, and if I do, what changes do I need to make to the frames on the hull, and by how much would you say I could widen it. Thanks

7. duluthboats

I just got on a different PC and I see its not 104 inches, but 10' 4", so let me redo the numbers. I'll be back.

8. duluthboats

The original hull was more like 140lbs per inch. With this simple plan I don’t see why you couldn’t use the full sheet width on the bottom. Then you’ll have 190lbs per inch. The reason I wouldn’t put a motor on this boat is the joint. There are a few two piece boats around but they have heavy joining hardware. Good luck

9. scubadude12

Thanks for your time

Gary,
    I thank you for taking the time to provide me the info. Take care :)

10. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I think I would be a little scared to put an engine on a two piece boat. There are a lot of similar designs out there that are the same size and can handle a small outboard. Good luck.

Joel
    Boatbuildercentral.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.