How far out?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How far out to sea does it need to be to change robbery into piracy.

In the Thai news,--British couple sailing round the world, making their way fro Phi Phi island Thailand to Langkwi (where I live) were peacefully on anchor.

5 pm 23rd March found 3 intruders on their boat "Mr Bean".

63year old Malcolm startled them stealing his dingy after apparantly stealing items form on board.

They hammerd his head with a hammer and cut his throat then threw him overboard. They ordered his wife to drive the boat ashore but whilst doing so she was able to attract the attention of some nearby marine police.

The 3 Burmese fishermen from a Thai fishing vessel "Vichai 6" tried to escape in the fuleless dinghy and was cought 1 KM from Mr bean.

They were 18 19 20 years old.

Malcolms body not yet found, wife in hospital in Satun.

These waters are criused by many and are considerd to be the safest imaginable with hospitable Thais and even school on neaby Islands.

The Burmese work cheap and are feared by many Thais.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

You do not have to be at sea to commit piracy, it if theft from a vessel, it can even be up a creek.

Lankawi, such a nice place to live mate, I spent New Years Eve ther on a Princess 42 a few yeard back, we were travelling from Singapore on a 3 month cruise.

I put the same posting on the Pirate section earlier.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Piracy is defined by UNCLOS article 101:
    (a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed:

(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft;

(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;

So, it must be on the high seas or outside the jurisdiction of the state.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

yeah, if we follow the United Nations....there are certainly other definitions though....the UN is, as in everything they do, a law unto themselves

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Landlubber

Maybe, but that is 'officially' the internationally recognised definition. All disputes of any kind maritime, eventually fall under their "definitions/rules".

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

True Ad Hoc, at the end of the day, there has to be some "Standard " I guess.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

had some folks high on the ladder tell me if your to heavily armed at sea you will be prevented from entering certain territorial waters

when I worked the lobster trade back east we had several shot guns on board
    but nothing to substantial

do any of you guys ever carry a little insurance
    say from Smith an Wesson

I say Mrs Bean was one bullet shy of saving her husband
    my condolences to her and her family
    and my regrets the community tainted by the actions of the few

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Boston,

Yes very sad, I too am your way of thinking insurance, but there are many who do not agree with us, it is fate I guess that some losses will occurr that are unfortunately un necessary.

I seriously believe we do have the right to defend ourselves, and we must also have the means to do so. As Baden Powell would say "Be Prepared".

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

its a tragedy to think it all could have been prevented
    I plan on coasting and maybe going cross the pond a few times
    but mostly staying round the Caribbean Bermuda and US waters
    would love to check out south America but will need to check the regs before I do

the fate of the Mr Bean is truly sad
    what a wonderful way to spend those last few years
    only to have it cut short by one act of desperation
    that could have been halted before it got out of hand

again my condolences to the family
    B

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

If it happened in the States, the first thing to look at would be "What might have the crew of the Mr. Bean done to provoke this?" Second would be, "What kind of environmental factors (the pirates' childhood) may have contributed to this?" Followed by "How can we best re-habilitate and transform the "victims of society" (pirates) to healthy, productive citizens" and "Since Johnnie Cochran is dead, what steps do we take to get Bill Bennet to lead the defense on public dollars?" "Did the arresting officers hurt the feelings of the arrested?"
    In Thailand, again since 1993, I assume these pieces of dirt are already dead.

12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Country which civilization goes much further in the past than yours, and mine too, has a lot we can learn to our benefit..
    Some desperate actions after desperate circumstances doesn't make these burmese "a piece of dirt".
    I'm not saying they don't deserve any punishment they gonna have but...
    like to see that captain of their fishing vessel in the same chain gang...

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

good call
    that captain is responsible for the actions of his crew while they are under his command
    people seem to forget that a seagoing vessel is a community unto itself with its own laws and traditions
    Im not suggesting we bring back flogging
    but there is a lot to be said for the traditions of the command structure

14. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Joshua Slocum didnt need a gun, carpet tacks on the deck were sufficient.

A desparately sad story, a man should be able to enjoy his retirement after many years of toil.

15. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Dam the shoesalesman :p

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.