A shipping container transportable multihull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bobg3723, Mar 5, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

bobg3723, the original "turisimo" was built in Brisbane as the GBE or Great Barrier Express, sadly some arsonist, intent on burning an adjoining business also burnt out the boatbuilder... Some GBE's appear on the local market. Very fast & quite comfortable for coastal cruising in "sheltered waters inside the Great Barrier Reef...

And kindly grow up...

2. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

T9 was a scaled GBE, as was the T10 from the T9... I think that the Brissie boats where the first production GBE's so don't be surprised if a Kiwi swears at you over that :D I could stand correcting here but I believe it was originally designed to get out a place known as "Great Barrier Island " in a hurry. I read about it a long while ago, will see if I can find the text.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

That is correct Heinz, and John had almost completed a LARGE version when he was burnt out it was just weeks away from launch - I hope that arsonist suffers.

4. Meanz Beanz

So Express Multihulls have gone? He sent me pics of the new boat in development. When did that happen M?

5. masalai

masalai masalai

5 or 6 months ago... all the workers gone & John, a true gentleman, in retirement - I hope enjoying a well deserved sail...

6. Meanz Beanz

Bugger, last time I checked you can't insure a factory that use's fiberglass production. They go bang to easily for insurance companies, if thats the case it would be a massive set back for him.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

If you still have the photoes & letter, give him a call - I still feel very sad when ever I think of him... and the lovely work and boats he produced...

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hey Mas.,,,,let him know we all feel bad,,,,and for the burning dude,,if you guys find him,,send him to texas hehe ;)

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Mas,

Thanks for the update, although that's about the worst way a good boat business can go under. Arsonists start to get down close to ********** and rapists when it comes to being the scum of the planet. :mad:

10. Meanz Beanz

Only got an email and the site has gone so its prolly dead as well. I will check it out...

Cheers
    MBz

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Heinz, I googled his name & coy also yellow & white pages - got names & coy but not his mobile -

I thought I had that info, but post fire I must have thrown it out... I called him after the incident & offered help and sympathy - he seemed sad and disappointed - indicated that retirement was "forced upon him" & that he was OK...

12. bobg3723

bobg3723 Senior Member

Hello Everyone,

Well, I've been on haitus for quite some time, but I'm fully rested and have been busy doing the CAD workup of the container transportable cat/nadrua/single outrigger canoe whatchamacallit. Some major changes; a more refined hull, wider overall beam, a four foot wide galley in the vaka, more displacement capacity in the ama, the crossbeams (still working on the exact details on how it'll attach to the hulls...etc. In short, I started over from scratch and I've attached some pics.

The other major change to my design criteria is that both hulls will have to be shipped in the container on cradles I just can't get any more habitable volume designed into the vaka without raising it up on a cradle relative to the ama as it all shoe-horns into the container. The good news is that it'll be far more easier to drag around resting on it's skids to position the hulls for mounting/demounting and also bracing the whole works from movement during shipping will be more straightforward. A forklift will make short work of moving both cradles around and both cradles will transfer the hulls much easier off and on a highway-legal (no permit necessary) trailer when transporting across the U.S., for example. But the whole kit definately squeezes inside past the doors of a 40' High Cube shipping container, as I've spent a good deal of head scratching redesigning all the updates to pass that test (on a CAD screen anyway). And there's still the very good possiblility of dismantling the empty cradles to allow for them to be shipped as a smaller package to the next destination. A High Cube container will only then be needed for shipping the boat.

So, essentially I've spent a good deal of time working out the container fit dimensions of hulls and cradles and where to store the crossbeams, masts, etc. I have to make sure it all fits inside a container to begin with. So the rest of the vessel structure design still need figuring out...a long road ahead for sure.

On the sailplan front, I've been studying some pages of "Understanding Rigs and Rigging" by R. Henderson and "Heavy Weather Sailing" by K.A. Coles to get some ideas for what would be the ideal sailplan and contingency planning. So I've narrowed it down to a schooner rig to keep the sail area divided among two masts and spreading out the sail area longitudinally to lower the Center of Effort. A schooner rig might also be conducive to achieving a balanced rig (slight weather helm -- 3 to 5 degrees of rudder deflection).

Things left to do:
    Well, so far I'm still working on the easier part....with keyboard and mouse. A two meter R/C model will be the first thing to touch water.

Cheers,
    Bob

Attached Files:

13. bobg3723

bobg3723 Senior Member

A closer underside view of the bow chines and knuckles made with Carlson's Chine Hull Designer. Additional splined fairing done with a self written AutoLisp program.

Attached Files:

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

um,,,,so ya think you can jus come back bobbyboy,,and give me bad rep points for nothing?,,,o.k.,,, ;) well if ya wanna be a BOY

15. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

T1 and interested parties...

It has been a month since the sordid engagement was apparently called-off. Some guys just never do see fit to apologize (a wink and a nod) so, perhaps the best thing to do would be to see what kind of attitude is being displayed by Bobg and then just simply go from there? It would be a good time to examine your own motivation on all this.

You don't live near the guy. You aren't forced into suitable behavior due to mutual employment and both of you are looking, at present, to be a whole lot less confrontational. That may be all that you are going to get at this point.

Be the guys who solve their own dilemma, here, and let it all go... if, that is, you still feel something compelling about the topic of the thread. Purely spewing about your issues with him and he yours, is not going to settle things down around here.

So, I'm asking this...of both of you (Bobg and T1) How about just letting the dust settle now that we've seen no conflict for the last several weeks and simply move along?

I've been following the thread as a passive reader all along and while I do have some questions, as well as suggestions, now is not the time to drop that into the mix. I'm content to just read and gather the bits of info that make the most sense to me.

My very best to you guys,

Chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.