A shipping container transportable multihull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bobg3723, Mar 5, 2008.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Bob,

I suspect that much, or at least some, of the criticism of your idea and the failure of some forum vets to take it as seriously as you meant it was based on the crudity of your illustrations. You explained the reason for that, but only well into the thread. As masalai pointed out, there are free downloadable software packages that will allow you to express simple sketches in a commonly recognized format, with simple tools that allow the user to create design drawings that meet generally accepted standards. I could be wrong, but the combination of stating that you are modifying a design for reasons that have nothing to do with improving performance or stability, and illustrating the new design with crude sketches, tends to create an impression of someone who is earnest but lacking in the knowledge needed to bring the project to fruition. That can put off some of the veteran contributors, who have seen valid criticisms rejected as mere bashing because the person being criticized did not understand the basis for the criticism.

Having said that, I have to agree that a few folks were pretty hard on you. I was prepared, having been away for a few days, to discuss your concept of day sailing and short trips only, leaving the long hauls to container transport. I would have asked you what information you have about freight, customs duties and brokerage fees, what to do if the shipping company loses its booking because of schedule changes, etc. Inter island shipping is notorious for lax scheduling; much shipping of containers is done in the same way as it was always done, meaning a shipment could be 3-4 months late in your eyes, and "normal" in the eyes of the locals.

Your recent posts, however, rife with obscenities and threats of physical violence, are all out of proportion to the jibes aimed your way. This forum, in my experience, is better than most. As someone else said here, there is honest and caring assistance mingled in with rough humor and occasional hijacking. Trolls are pretty rare here. If you doubt me, spend a little time researching all of the1much's posts. He's often crude and derisive, but equally often generous with practical advice.

I hope you'll take this in the spirit intended. Perhaps there is an unrelated reason for your outburst. A good online friend here recently lashed out in a similar manner. He later apologized, citing worry about a very serious family problem. 'Nuff said, we all moved on. It will be difficult to entertain your ideas seriously in the future, Bob, without a change in expressed attitude. I'd like to continue the discussion, but in all honesty the burden is now on you.

1 person likes this.
  2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

MBz,

You might be right. Hope I'm not wasting my breath (figuratively).

3. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

If cost is the main consideration then for short periods of time, you'll never be able to beat flying to your desired cruising grounds and chartering a boat there. But there are other situations.

The F33 was originally conceived to fit in a container so that it could be built in Australia when the dollar was high and labor in Aus. was much cheaper. The boat could be built there and shipped to sell in the US at a competitive price. The economics have changed (which is why the F33 is no longer being built), but the idea still remains valid. A boat may only have to be shipped once, but putting it in a container is much cheaper than a yacht transport. A builder in one location can achieve economies of scale by selling all over the world.

Or say you want to sell a used boat. When I bought my trimaran, the fact that it was demountable for shipping was a huge advantage. I considered a tri in the Caribbean, but there's no way I could have taken the time to sail it through the Panama Canal and up to Seattle. And a delivery of that magnitude would have been way too expensive. But a boat that could be trucked within the legal width limit made for an expensive but doable proposition (less than the sales tax on the boat). If it hadn't been a matter of trucking only, but had required a water crossing (as with the boat in the Caribbean), then containerability might well have been a make-or-break factor. So fitting into a container can improve the resale value of your boat.

A wider range of cruising grounds is another motivation. The original owner of my boat lived in Brownsville, TX (on the Gulf of Mexico, right at the border with Mexico) had it designed specifically for cruising in the Bahamas. They would demount the boat, have it trucked to Florida, remount it, and sail over to the Bahamas. They'd spend about a month cruising in the islands then go back to Florida and have it trucked home. It takes about a day to mount or demount the boat. So they lost 4 days out of their vacation, but saved much more compared to sailing across the Gulf of Mexico and around Florida to get to where they wanted to go. With a container, they would have had a rail option for transport, or been able to cross a water segment as well.

A containerable coastal cruiser starts to look competitive with a true blue water cruiser. It can be a handy boat in an archipelago and make modest passages from the mainland to the archipelago. Then go back in the container for shipment to another continent. Some people have neither the time nor the desire to make the long passages. They can trade the cost of shipping for the quality of the time they spend where they really want to be.

Racing is another option. A container allows you go to major regattas you'd never be able to participate in otherwise. Or be able to participate in more regattas in a season. Money isn't necessarily the biggest factor, here, but time is important. With a container, there's no long deliveries back from a distance race.

Finally, if you have to lay the boat up for an extended period, storing it in a container is a secure, protected way to do it. And there are far more locations where you could leave the container than you could an intact multihull.

So containerization isn't for everybody, but I can see that it has its place. An F33 costs on the order of a quarter of a million dollars. It doesn't take a Vanderbuilt to own one, but we're not talking cruising on a shoestring, either. The market is for, say, middle-class professionals. People in that market value their time and can afford some options in how they approach their leisure time.

1 person likes this.
  5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

shuddup bobbieboiy

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

me highjack?,,,i think maybe you need to learn to READ,,,,and you think im coward???,,,i gave ya my REAL address,,,,where you live? heh
    and of course you care what i do,,,see your wasting your time talking about me ;)
    i love you too ;)
    and i'll go 1 on 1 "talking" to ya ANYTIME,,,now instead of being a mommys boiy,,,cough,,,maybe ya balls will drop and you might get rid of that scratchy teenage voice of yours.
    and like i said,,,i dont need to ***** talk,,,,when ya call someone a coward,,,you best be man nuff to back that TEENAGE mouth up,,,,i can ;)

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and aint it funny that bobby got mad after post #45 heh

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and just to show how "simple" you are,,,i didnt "call" anyone over here,,,in fact,,im pretty SURE i was pointed to this thread for my input. and it takes a coward to threaten someone over a computer monitor,,i,ve only physically threatened 1 person over the internet,,and 2 days later was knocking on his door, and that was cause he made threats to a VERY dear friend of mine. it usually shows your "teenage" thinking to mouth off over a forum, and threaten,,, bobby,,,you need to grow up,,,laugh once in a while,,even at yaself,i find that pretty much a "cure-all" for any "mental inadequacy's" we all have ;)
    and if this NEEDS to go any further,, i can e-mail ya my phone# and we can "talk" it over. ;)
    and i took all your sketches and ideas seriously until the tent was in the water floating there,,thats when i asked bout ya age,,,now take all the sketch's you've shown us,,,,print them out,,,show ya friends,,,tell them each sketch was done by people at a different age,,ask them to guess the "ages" of the sketch makers,,,,,,whats thier answer bout that floating tent next to the beach?
    and all through this thread,,,all i did was ask you questions,,,,and for ANYONE thats able to think ahead maybe,,o,,,say,,,a week,,,,you MUST ask "why,,how,,what,,where,,and AM I GONNA DIE " hehe ;)

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Bob,
    I have to stick up for my buds on this one. You caused the high jacking. If you go back to post 67 you see that I tried to get the thread back on track, but there was no input or discussion from you. If the person who starts the thread doesn't participate then the thread is open. If you can't take a little dig and maybe give one back then I feel sorry for you. There is no place on the internet let alone this forum for obscenities, threats and innuendos. Go away and leave us alone.

1 person likes this.
  10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

dont tell me he cant tell time either,,,,geesh ;)

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Keep going - page isn't full yet - slow - needs at least two pages....:D:p:p:p

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

"dont tell me he cant tell time either,,,,geesh" the1much

Yeah, that was a pretty strong challenge for a no-show. He did show up, sort of, (another thread, search "pizza") and slam you pretty hard tonight, Jim. Hope it doesn't hurt you too badly. You either, mas.:D :D

Attached Files:

13. masalai

masalai masalai

All part of the game of being human:D:D:D - No sense no feeling? - 5hit off a Rhino's back? - I asked for beer too - I suppose that would be a bit much? Gees the1 I cant give you points for a fiery broadside either - You would make any pirate proud...

14. bobg3723

bobg3723 Senior Member

This is to all you pinheads. Read it and weep. Boo Hoo. Cut back on your meds.

Try to annex other threads and hold them through your hijacking comrades. Using the conventions of an open and free forum and blatantly breaking the very rules of this forum that maintains order all while outside of my presence on this thread.

You try to ruin people, like this guy, by linking threads. Ooh, look! This new guy stepping up to speak his piece is what this is all about. All contained right here at the derogatory thread I’m pointing at. You feebly tried that with me and I rebuked you within ten messages. You’ll get no satisfaction establishing a pecking order with me.

You blatantly break the same rules that held to my thread, and behave yourself at the other people’s threads where you wish to ingratiate yourself. So these threads pay tribute to you to keep the peace.

You employ your lackeys to send a barrage of incessant repetitious accusations of little consequence all strung together with your fondness for ellipses and stream of conscious babbling.

You come into my thread and point the finger of blame at me. Ignorant pipsqueak, who the hell do you think you are? Well then, lets see what the record has to reveal regarding your tenor in all this:
    1 Oh here we go again.
    2. The finger pointing link
    3. The barrage of rapid-fire ellipses framed judgment values based on conflated topics. That’s where I knew you were going with this line of intent. Establish the pecking order all under the guise of some authority. I asked what people thought and I didn’t like the tenor of it, so you got some back in return.
    4. And so you left with a parting shot and skiddadled.

You have all the transparent savvy of a small time troll in employing your clique as regents in a time worn oligarchy. All for what? “But its all in good fun and nobody gets hurt, what’s to complain about?”. Besides, we earn points. There, is that so bad? And politics exist in a vacuum, huh? ? Just keep repeating this garbage until the forum members grant acceptance. But it won’t happen. You’re too arrogant and clever for your own good. But you want to know something. People in the nature of the kindness in their hearts will not be fooled for too long at time to start to discern who you are and ******** you represent.

You’re all a joke.

See you tomorrow.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Thank you for the compliment bobg, But I am afraid you must be misguided as I have a little authority, Very little... Elipses?

I am just clever enough to bow to your arrogance and pent up aggressive tone, and intelligent enough to know that acceptance of other opinions is OK.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.