wanting to build a fiberglass flat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tr3y14, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tr3y14

tr3y14 New Member

Where can i find plans to build a fiberglass flat like the one in the pictures, thanks
    boat.jpg

boat2.jpg

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Attached Files:

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

tr3y14,
    Plywood is stronger, lighter and stiffer. The latter makes it ideal for flat bottoms. You can build a bigger boat, power it w less and build it much cheaper. Don't even need any FG on the bottom unless you're going to run it up on bad jagged rocky beaches. Look at PAR's Digger. One tough boat.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any single skin 'glass designs like this, but I could be wrong. There are likely a few foam cored 'glass designs in this size, but this is a more costly way of building a small boat, not to mention you have to enjoy sanding and itching. My Digger 17 would be well suited for your needs, but it is a plywood boat. It can be sheathed in 'glass if desired, but it's not absolutely necessary. The sheathing is good for abrasion protection though, especially if Xynole instead of 'glass is employed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.