Rib width for a 13-14 foot boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by learningtheway, Jun 25, 2011.

1. learningtheway

learningtheway Junior Member

Hello again,

Ive never built a boat before and the plans im looking at say to use 1x8(oak) to build the ribs of the boat. My first reaction was to wonder if that was too small or skinny to use for the ribs.

The boat is 13 feet and it is v bottom in shape fishing boat

Thanks
    LTW

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Too many variable so far, LTW: suggest you ID the design and type of boat, and what you intend to use it for. Boat designs vary from having no ribs at all to lots of tiny ones close together and they can all produce a seaworthy boat.

p.s., also the construction method would be useful information

3. judgegage

judgegage Junior Member

Ok, for a 13' boat 1x8" oak be more than strong enough. ancient kayaker is right there are alot of variables. I wouldn't go more than 24" between ribs. So, about 4 ribs on a 13' boat.

The first duck boat I built was about 11' oal and 4' almost flat bottom. I used 1x4" pressure treated pine. I beat that little boat for 3 years crossing our bay and it was as solid the day I gave it away as when I built it. The kids I gave it to used it for a few more years before I lost track of it.

Hope this helps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.