Best propeller

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by skipper_rj, Apr 15, 2008.

1. skipper_rj

skipper_rj Junior Member

Does anybody have a book or an article to indicate me about choosing the best propeller to work with a motor in a specific hull? I mean that sometimes we use the charts thinking just in hydrodinamics, and frequently the motor cannot reach the maximum rpm. How can I solve for best performance of the hull/propeller and motor? Thank you.

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Use this site to determine hull drag at your design speed and boat parameters:
    http://illustrations.marin.ntnu.no/hydrodynamics/resistance/planing/index.html

Set the Options page on this site to water parameters, set the thinnest foil with the highest Re# in this calculator then set the thrust equal to the hull drag and it will provide a prop design based on your chosen parameters:
    http://colaco.freeshell.org/mhepperle/javaprop/jp_applet.htm
    The calculator works equally well for water or air props providing you set the Options for the medium. It is an analytical solution so does not rely on empirical data.

If you have trouble working either calculator then post some more specific questions.

Rick W.

3. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

"The Propeller Handbook" by Dave Gerr. They have it at Amazon.com.

4. skipper_rj

skipper_rj Junior Member

Thanks for the answers Rick and Garydierking.
    I am trying to buy "The propeller handbook".
    I hear to say that it is a wonderfull book!

5. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

can anyone share the book "the propelleer handbook"..

i am student.. i need it very much, try to help me if u have it
    smithjohn34@ymail.com

thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.