A New Catamaran Design.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by surfingyetty, Jun 30, 2008.

1. surfingyetty

surfingyetty Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    At our sailing club a few months ago someone cut an optimist in half fitted Aka and a firefly rig and use it as a catamaran. It worked for a while and then some guys took it out in a fource 6 and it picth poled a was destroyed. But me and a couple of mates were inspired...

Would it be possible to use a couple of windsurfers as outriggers and fit a 420 rig on it? Or would it sink the second it got on edge? If it would work, we might be able to get the stuff we need and give it a go. Your thoughs and coments please. Thanks Jacob.

2. BWD

BWD Senior Member

yes, done before, google "itzacat."
    You would want big (long) boards I think.
    If I wanted to do it I might try 2 old mistral superlight IIs, but I would add another layer of glass over them probably.
    The length and volume would probably be ok for 1 guy or two kids, iffy for 2 grown men.
    on edge it would not sink, just go slow and tip over (or break apart if you did not build it strong). being flat bottomed the point is to sail it flat so it can plane. It could be a fun way to use (or get rid of ) some old gear...

3. surfingyetty

surfingyetty Junior Member

Cheers, will Keep you posted on how it goes!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.