Decals and colours for Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matthew, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Matthew

Matthew Junior Member

Does anyone know of any cheapish plugins for rhino that enable you to add decals, stickers etc, to models?

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Have you experimented with the Flamingo demo from http://www.flamingo3d.com/download.htm

I don't have experience with it, other than playing with the demo for a few minutes, but I know Paul put it through it's paces and seemed to really like it. I did spend countless hours taking part in the public beta of Accurender also from McNeel, and that was a very nice program at the time and I have nothing but good things to say about their developers, so I'm guessing Flamingo is equally is easy and fun to use to get a good result. At least I know decals take only a few seconds to apply with the demo :)

I know $495 isn't really 'cheapish' but compared to 3D Studio at $2500+, etc. it's a pretty low price. Does make you wish you were a student again as they offer fantastic student prices ($295 for Rhino and Flamingo!)

3. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

This from the flamingo help file :-

Decals:

:1 From the Render menu, click Current Renderer, and then click Flamingo Raytrace.
    2 Select an object.
    3 From the Edit menu, click Object Properties.
    4 In the Properties dialog box, on the Decals and Waves tab, under Decals, click Add, then click a mapping type.
    5 In the Select Bitmap dialog box, select a bitmap name.
    6 At the prompts for points, pick points on the model to locate the decal.

The precise sequence depends on the type of decal you have selected: planar, cylindrical, spherical, or UV.
    7 In the Edit Decal dialog box, use the tabs and controls to set the map, masking, Settings, and Finish of the decal.
    When you have multiple overlapping decals on a single object, the order in which they are applied may be significant. Decals are applied in the order they appear in the list. The last decal in the list appears to be on top.

8 Click Move Up or Move Down to change a decals position in the list.

---------
    Rhino definately rocks! and yes, I do wish I was a student!

Cheers

Paul

4. Matthew

Matthew Junior Member

Cheers Guys, I hadnt got round to reading my manual properly yet. I agree with the last guy though - Rhino is awesome. So easy and intuative to use and I run it on my laptop!

Just in the process of buying the marine plug-in "PHASER" from Proteus Engineering. Have been using the 30 day demo till now, and it appears well worth the money. Anyone else used it?

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I'm the same way - I prefer to learn as I go rather than reading the manual first - works great 99.9% of the time and it's a lot more rewarding to learn that way.

Please keep us up to date as you try various Rhino plugins too. It will be interesting to get a hands on comparison: http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=209

6. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro New Member

decals?

Hi everyone,
    i'm trying to render with flamingo using the Decals and Waves option. from a strange reason i can't find this box. i'm not sure what is the problem. i tried everywhere but it seems like it doesn't exist.
    From the Edit menu i clicked Object Properties and than there was no decals...:confused:
    doe's anybody know something about this? should i activate it from another place?
    please HELP!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.