A little FreeShip help, perhaps?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vislaw, Feb 21, 2009.

1. vislaw

vislaw The Dude

Hello all,

I recently began working with FreeShip and DelftShip. We do a lot of forensic animation and, in partcular, maritime cases. I was blown away by how wonderful and easy FreeShip is as a hull design tool.

I've worked through the tutorial and have built some ships. Now I have some questions that I hope won't be too obviously "newbie" queries. I posted these on the Delftship forum, but haven't gotten any responses. Perhaps some of you can help me with ANY of these:

1) My bow has a sharp edge and obviously I need more control points to be able to shape it. How can I get more control points in the bow area without having to subdivide the entire controlnet (which gives me more points globally instead of locally). I haven't figured out how you add ony a single or couple line of control points to the controlnet.

2) Is there a way to move multiple vertices as one time rather than individually? Similarly, can one move a segment or series of segments (a whole curve) globally? It seems way too tedious to move points individually. Surely I'm missing something?

3) There are some very nice models in the database. I'd like to start with some of those to alter but don't know how to scale them up or down to match my plans. Is there a way to scale a controlnet globally? (I believe I saw a thread here that says you can globally scale on layers. I will look into that).

4) I like the align tool for a series of points in a line. Is there any way to align a group of points on a planar surface?

5) Is there a way to optimize your controlnet after you've subdivided it? In other words, once you subdivide your net are you stuck with the higher resolution or can you go back to reduce the resolution of the net?

6) If I want to extrude a deck from somewhere midway down the hull, how do I do this since I can only extrude control boundaries, right? Is there a way to copy a series of segments and make them become a new control boundary???

THANKS ALL!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE!!!!

Mark Johnson

2. Olav

Olav naval architect

1) To insert new control points, mark the relevant line(s), then click on "Edge" -> "Split" or use the "Split"-button in the toolbar (looks like the icon in the menu as described before).

2) To move one ore more elements (points, lines, edges) at once, mark them (when you want to move points, keep the Ctrl-key pressed while selecting), then "Transform" -> "Move" -> enter the desired vector.

3) "Transform" -> "Scale" -> input desired scale factor.

4) Now it's getting difficult. The problem is that FREE!ship doesn't allow to fix certain axises so aligning points results in the points ending aligned along a straight line between the first and the last point. Mark the start point first, then those to be aligned and then the end point, then "Points" -> "Align".

5) To delete unnecessary points, mark them and click "Points" -> "Collapse". Note: If there's a control line attached to this point, you have to remove it first by using "Edge" -> "Collapse".

6) As you said, you can only extrude outer edges. If you want to extrude from a line somewhere in between, you have to make it an "outer edge" first by deleting some lines around (Mark, then "Edit" -> "Delete"). Alternatively, you can model the part you want to add (a superstructure, for example) as a new "hull" and export it as a part ("File" -> "Export" -> "Part"), open your hull file and import it again ("File" -> "Import" -> "Part"). You can move it into position by using the procedure from 2). Another way would be to generate a cylinder ("Tools" -> "Add cylinder"; setting the no. of points to 2 will produce a flat "plate") and model the part from there.

Hope this helps...

3. vislaw

vislaw The Dude

I thank you for those very helpful responses, Olav.

I believe you've pointed me in the right direction on several of these. THANKYOU!!

4. Olav

Olav naval architect

Never mind! If there are further questions or anything not clearly expressed by me, feel free to ask. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. vislaw

vislaw The Dude

Tutorial

Somehow I had not seen the "unofficial" tutorial available under the downloads section of this site. I found it more helpful for my understanding of the software than the "official" hull-building tutorial on the DelftShip site.

By the way, I was curious as to whether there is a NEW manual for FreeShip Plus. It seems the download section here only has the "old" manual. Is anybody working on a supplement?

6. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Olav, do you realise how much did you say in so little?

Excellent. I thought I know it well, yet I just learned how to add the furniture in, for example...and from your post only.

Zehr gutt.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Zehn Punkte Olav, danke! Ich hatte dieselben Probleme wie vislav.

MfG
    Richard

8. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Punkt von mir auch Olav, guter Mann danke

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hey Stu, practicing your German?;)

10. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Also, jetzt sprechen wir alle Deutsch hier? Änderung ist gut.

Und ein gelegentlicher Internetübersetzer hilft auch...

:cool:

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Babelfish is shi..t. But knowledge helps a bit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.