A kinder, gentler thief

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by philSweet, Jan 27, 2012.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I'm just not myself today.

Attached Files:

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Is this more like it?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I refuse to accept or allow the "rainbow" gays organization to steal the rainbow symbol from the rest of us. They don't have that right. So, if you like the many colored avatar Hoyt? Enjoy. :)

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Tsunami usually hit on the other side of the ocean from the earthquake so you would not feel ground shaking.
    The thief but back the stuff so you would leave not knowing when or where you were robbed. It is actually pretty clever.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I'm hoping that was the case. My one concern is that maybe someone boarded my boat and inventoried my stuff and finally found a want add for something on my boat. No doubt they were hoping I never actually used the thing and would never notice. I just realized that I forgot to tie off the wheel. I use the autohelm to lock the wheel when I'm off the boat. It's now free to swing and that's not good. It could break the parts of the autohelm I left hanging in space, not to mention wearing the rudder bearings out and wearing holes in the helm cover. The new gearbox arrived yesterday.

6. hoytedow

Ahem! The rainbow is the symbol sent by God to mark his promise that Man would not be destroyed by flood again, regardless of AGW statements to the contrary. That is its only legitimate use contrary to the kinder gentler theft of it por la junta de las mariquitas.

7. hoytedow

You risk the Malocchio

8. WestVanHan

Dat is not be da herb talkin bruddah..

Attached Files:

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sounds like its someone who knew it was there in the first place, has an obvious knowledge of the system, and is very mechanically inclined. I'd suspect a boat shop employee, no way would anyone take the risk to go boat to boat and then all that much more time to put things back together.

Most thieves also don't typically run around with a tool kit on them. Smash and grab it seems to be the rule of thumb. I'd check the local yards and see who's working on what and if its got your kinda autopilot in it. Also might help to call the company that made it and see if anyone else called looking for that same part. Might end up getting lucky and actually catching the bastads

10. WestVanHan

Great ideas B!

I forgot..few years ago a friend had a 200 hp outboard stolen but one of the pistons had issues.
    He contacted the local dealers...3 months later a guy came in to order the piston....

11. Yobarnacle

Is that sufficient evidence? or was there motor numbers to prove ownership? In Florida, boats are titled, trailers only registered with license plate (sold with Bill of Sale), and motors? Florida isn't interested in motors. So how did he get his motor back? A little personal attention and persuasion attending the thief? :)?

1 person likes this.
  12. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Did any of you see this story about the woman who got her stolen bike back?

http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor...as_stolen_bike_craigslist_denzel_crawford.php

Craigslist is a great way to sell stuff, whether it belongs to you or not. But eighteen-year-old Denzel O'Neal Crawford learned the service also gives ballsy crime victims the opportunity to reclaim their property.
    That's precisely what Boulder's Kathryn Lucas did with her stolen bicycle.

Lucas told CBS4 she had locked up her Trek road bike outside the Lazy Dog on Boulder's Pearl Street Mall, then went inside to watch a game. When she came out, her wheels were missing.

Gone for good? Not quite. Lucas subsequently took a look on Craigslist to see if the bicycle thief was stupid enough to place it there for sale -- and it turns out he was. She soon found a listing for her bike, complete with a photo that allowed her to make a positive ID, and decided to contact the seller while posing as a customer.

Before long, she was at Crawford's place in Westminster. She told him she was interested in the bike, but wanted to give it a test-ride. So she hopped aboard, started pedaling -- and never came back.

Instead, she loaded the bike into her car, drove away and called the law on Crawford. Cops soon showed up, and the Boulder Daily Camera notes that he admitted to stealing the bike, according to the police report.

The story has since gone national, with CBS running the package on its network, and other outlets picking it up. Lucas, meanwhile, has gotten a new bike lock -- one good enough, hopefully, to make detective work like the kind that led to Crawford's arrest unnecessary in the future.

Look below to see Crawford's mug shot as well as the aforementioned CBS4 piece.

Denzel O'Neal Crawford.

13. WestVanHan

He'd filed the theft with the RCMP along with the motor number as part of the insurance claim.
    The parts guys told the dude they needed the motor number to order the right piston,was an update etc etc.and phoned the cops when he showed up with the matching number.

But insurance had paid out by that time,and IIRC he bought his old motor off the insurance co. for a pittance AND the thief was ordered to pay damages.....,so he got his old motor back,got a newer motor,and made some money.

And maybe the insurance co. sued the thief,but I don't know

Luckily many craigs posters/thieves aren't too bright..this happens all the time.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Nah, thieves are generally idiots, unable to make there way by any other means. Sometimes with a little creativity you can catch them "in the act" of selling your stuff.

15. Yobarnacle

Ok amigo. A regalo from Mexico for your arsenal of avatars. I drew it but it's now yours. Change it anyway you like. I put your copyright on it. :)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.