A junk in the making? Can I make a 65ft circumnavigate vessel?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wellydeckhand, May 12, 2006.

1. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Sail or engine..steel or wood ?

Welly, when I surf the malaysian goverment rules and regulation on boats and ship, I had found out that in Malaysia a traditional sail boat, junk and pleasure craft are exempted from many regulations that bind the motor/mechanical driven vessel.Maybe it is the same in Indonesia..Malaysian law are based on British law..maybe thats why all those KLM still keep their mast eventhough there is no sail.There is no need to even register the boat.Anyway I would like to register mine so that the boat can have an official name and me be certified as legal owner since my boat is for circumnavigation..I'am worried about papers and certification needs in other countries.I have not decided yet to register the boat in Malaysia or Indonesia.
    I do really like your idea of a steel boat..but steel price keep on going up..my younger brother in law have a fabricating w/shop business dealing with oil palm refineries and estates..even his customers are grumbling like mad..he have to quote the material prices in the tender..I think steel can be very expensive compared to Ulin wood..one of the best wood for boat building..dirt cheap at your place..:) I do love reading this thread you had started because it related nicely to my own project..and the comments given is usefull.:)

1 person likes this.
  2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Err..... ARI,

I think I can PM you later on the cheapest and the most professional traditional wooden maker in Kalimantan...... no string attched.:)

I am looking to continue this project by hiring some Indonesian Pofeesional that understand Pihinisi Junk in steel construction. The vessel will be beamer and slightly longer with characteristic of a true Phinisi....... only sail is junk rig. I had seen it when the vessel past by my view infront of my home. Great look.

I would register my vessel as it mean nobody can claim my vessel as other persons'........ protect similar claim.

The drawing still pour in as I already paid the guy for the rendering so enjoy.

WDH

P.S.You can buy Krakatau steel..... if it is competitive.
    Oh Yes, second project should try DIX yachts ,he is helpful.:)

Attached Files:

3. Wellydeckhand

Here with exterior saloon and helm, and the junk rig possibility. Twin keel will be drawn and submit later.

Attached Files:

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Nice drawings welly. I don't think freestanding masts will be the best solution to a heavy workhorse, even if it is a nice one.

About the kill, strong twin keels would be a nice solution. That way you could make your cargo deliveries right in a nice beach. I guess that there are a lot of small islands without a good port.

5. Wellydeckhand

Er...... as I say, I do not really intend to use it for Trading, just like the sound of the name. Now, it seem this type of design is common classic design even in Indonesia. With Phinisi lines........, I would have various different choice of similar boat size and design before I settle for one of the full plan...... hopefully.

Most island have wooden platform habour, traditioanal and last the storm.:)

Dix was kind in advise of Hout Bay, I am still consulting with my rendering guys on the suitablility of the 70 ft for my cause....... yup getting bigger.

WDH

6. Wellydeckhand

this is just an idea of yachts making use of slanting spaces......

Attached Files:

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Those are Van De stand and Tanton design :) Professional people. Do you have anymore to share? the fax you send was so blurr.

Mayfly

1 person likes this.
  8. Wellydeckhand

Yes Mayfly, all the people can draw interior of a boat, but it take a sailor and a builder to know where to place and where not to, these drawing are professionally drawn, showing how non-designer can learn from them, not copy.

WDH

9. Wellydeckhand

More Incredible stuff to save cost.

I have been shopping for nice stuff that are a bit dusty but still prime equipment for my boat. I like to save money and it is afterall my boat, I dont switch old parts on people boat........ unless they ask for older engine.

I was fortunate to have the ..........

1. heap of welding rods,
    2. electric terminal box x3,
    3. fire horse,
    4. lifting hvy duty belt,
    5. Indrustrial grade lighting
    6. chainblocks x8
    7. perkin genset
    8. great water pump from oxygen machine
    9. Valve
    10. small genset for emergency purpose.

All these equipment will be check by third parties with certification......

Attached Files:

10. StianM

StianM Senior Member

Perkins is good stuff.
    Is that electric cabinet off rital fabrication?
    If so you are instaling first class used stuff inside your hull

1 person likes this.
  11. Wellydeckhand

The Helm Cockpit

OK GUYS,

This is the Aluminium cockpit layout........ I like the sofa for my friends company and my future wife sleeping while I am sailing through the nite.:)

There are 2 type or version, which type you like.......... Pls comment.....:)

WDH

Attached Files:

• Co1.jpg
      Co1.jpg
      File size:
      209.6 KB
      Views:
    • Co1a.jpg
      Co1a.jpg
      File size:
      190.1 KB
      Views:
    • Co2.jpg
      Co2.jpg
      File size:
      170.6 KB
      Views:
    • Co2a.jpg
      Co2a.jpg
      File size:
      197.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Wellydeckhand

DIX DULEY 70ft Hull design

Will the DIX DULEY 70ft hull suit my purpose?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This design was drawn for a client who wanted to sort out the detailing for himself. As a result, it is a partial design only. Available information comprises lines, offsets, sail and rigging plan, a few construction sections and my standard detailing covering steel construction details and construction of the gaff rig.

If you feel happy to build her from that basic information, then her design is available at a low price. Alternatively, I am available to provide additional detailing for further aspects of the boat, right through to complete detailing if needed. Please contact me by email to discuss these options if they interest you.

"Spirit of Malverne", the boat in the photoraphs, sails at 10-12 knots in most conditions but reported a top speed of 19 knots during a downwind voyage in the trades from Cape Town to the island of St Helena. On the windward return trip she steered herself continuously, unaided by autopilot or anyone correcting her, for 10 days.

She would be a great charter boat, combining space, comfort and character. She also has loads of carrying capacity, making her a wonderful trading schooner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have email Dix and he seem highly recommended this particular hull, he say it would fit my engine perfectly. The good side is the hull plan is cheaper because it doesnt include the sail design and deck.......... What is your opinion guys.

WDH

Attached Files:

13. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

That boat Spirit of Malverne do really look nice Welly.If it can be built locally by you and the team maybe the initial cost price can be lower down further, at 70 feet long it should be able to perform the task needed comfortably.I'am still not convinced to have a floating home shorter than that.For short journey a smaller boat is not a problem..when it become your home for a few years..I believe it should be bigger..and 70 feet is real nice.

14. Wellydeckhand

Big is beautiful......... unless it is your overgrown wife

A big boat travel further and carry more fuel, provisions and life support.

How can u say a small plane to cross the globe be a efficient boat unless it mean to break some record or train the mind to endure the crampness of boat ZEN.

I see Boeing going further stop lesser. You see small boat mean more stopover, mooring fee, provision gathering( because you are new to the place) , less equipment....... you cant have a proper bath tub...... , bring on paying passenger and...... etc.......

Dont because the world is so focus on small boat mean we gonna stuck with one. Small boat is easier stolen than big boat......... also. To me bigger to a certain comfortable size mean better living condition with private space with less hassel and more safety........... ( too big of course not efficient......)

A big boat gonna just right for what we intented.... small fast boat might not fit our bill.

Here are more rendering of circumnavigate 60-70ft boat.

Best Regard,

WDH

Attached Files:

15. Wellydeckhand

here is a few rendering of my boat cockpit with a nose job........... I prefer the one with the steer outside.......... I could vomit and it will never destroy the floor.............:)

Attached Files:

• ad1.jpg
      ad1.jpg
      File size:
      203.6 KB
      Views:
    • ad2.jpg
      ad2.jpg
      File size:
      200 KB
      Views:
    • ad3.jpg
      ad3.jpg
      File size:
      205.4 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.