A great boat for exploring and inexpensively built

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, May 20, 2008.

1. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

One of the best boats for exploring shallow water areas such as Florida Bay and the Everglades is the 16 or 18 foot cruising version of the San Francisco Pelican. These boats were designed for amateur building of plywood and epoxy with only the usual tools found at home. In addition to being inexpensive to build, they are inherently safe in high winds and the moderate chop found in San francisco Bay. With a beam that is half of the length and highly flared dory style sides they are dry except in the very worst weather. The attribute that makes them ideal for back water exploring is that they only draw 4 inches of water with the board up. Additionally, they are easy to either pole or row. This would be an ideal boat to participate in the Water Tribe annual Everglades Challenge, and a boat that wouldn't wear the crew out during this exceptionally strenuous event.

While having amazing volume for gear and crew, the boat is light enough to be launched from the beach with ease. All factors considered, the Pelican is a great way for those with meager financial resources to get in to the Everglades Challenge as well as have a capable cruising boat afterward.

2. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

I Googled, I saw, I liked. The problem is, no in depth on construction, and nearly all were the 12' version. I tried to find the 18' Chinese junk version, but no luck.
    This guy must be a lonely day sailer. He designed a cheap, easy boat so others would build and meet him on the Bay. :D He got it right, looks to be a fun lil' boat.

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.