Can anyone help me identify this 20' sailboat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by epemae, Sep 28, 2010.

1. epemae

epemae New Member

My husband and I recently purchased this 20' 1976(?) sailboat, but are unsure what kind it is. Can anyone help me identify it please?

Attached Files:

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

There was a company in the '70's offering GRP boat kits, usually including the hull and deck. They offered various powerboats and IIRCC two or three sailboats. One of them was called a 'leeward' and was about 21 ft long. Your boat looks like that boat.

3. epemae

epemae New Member

Thank you sharpii2!

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks-the name South... had been eating at me so I tried Southwind just for the heck of it. I used to know all the trailer sailors of the 70's and early eighties.....

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Wow. Good catch, I would have had to dig out my copy of Roger Marshalls book A sailor's guide to production sailboats

8. epemae

epemae New Member

Thank you all for your help! I am in the process of restoring this boat and would like to know if anyone has the spec sheets for it. I found a few links online, but they all appear to be shut down. I am especially interested in the keel and winch. Thanks.

9. PAR

Quite often these links die from lack of up keep, but your boat doesn't seem especially weird, so it's issues could easily be sorted out. Is there anything specific you'd like information on? Sure, a full set of construction drawings would be nice, but they really aren't necessary for the most part. Pictures, questions and common sense will usually cure most ills, on a boat of this class.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------------
    From the original link-have you tried this: http://lugerboats.webs.com/home/index.html

and this may apply: http://harringtonproject.tripod.com/index.html

11. PAR

12. bearco

bearco New Member

Hey you guys are incredible. I tried to find out about "ribs" for this boat on a different thread but I did not describe them right. What I found out is I think they are called "stringers" or "Springers". They are on each side of the keel and spread about 14 inches out from the keel. there are four of them starting at the keel winch. We changed out the keel bolts,at which time I had to cut out the "stringers". I replaced the wood that the keel bolts came through but not the "stringers". We put the boat back in the water and sailed it back to the marina slip, no problem. When we were tied up we noticed the keel winch moving side to side when the boat rocked. I am thinking the "ribs" "stringers" or "springers" stabilize the twisting of the keel. I am sorry about no pictures but I wiil keep trying. Any info?

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You cut out the parts that make the hull rigid. Put them back in.

14. bearco

bearco New Member

I was thinking that but still needed confirmation. First time working on a sailboat. What about rudders, where should I go for info. Ours is wood with a wood tiller, it looks very generic. Is there somewhere I can find size and material for a new one?

15. PAR

No, there isn't a place you can go for "sizing" you appendages, but you can seek some help, which is clearly what you need to do, before you hurt yourself (no offense intended I know you're trying).

At this point pictures will be necessary, but as Peter has mentioned, it sounds like you've cut structural elements and need to restore the integrity of the structure. In Jacksonville, there are many that can help. Hell, I'm only an hour or so from you too. Materials can be purchased on line or in Jacksonville.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.