A durable interior paint...?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by paularey, Oct 19, 2005.

1. paularey

paularey Junior Member

Looking for a bomb proof interior paint for a catamaran interior I’m repainting. I’ve gutted the interior and it is 80% fiberglass (some previously painted)/old gel coat and the rest plywood bulkheads previously painted white. I’d like to shoot the whole interior (excluding a few masked off areas) with a durable gloss white paint and I’m looking for any recommendations. I’m thinking about a good two part urethane of some sort…? Any brands, hints (what’s a good primer?) or tips appreciated.
    Much thanks
    Paul

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Interthane Plus (by Interlux) and Awlgrip are among the best known. Both would have to be rolled/brushed on the interior as I doubt there will be space in there to spray safely. Each manufacturer has their own primers specially formulated for their paints; if you follow their booklets you will likely have no problems for a decade or more. In the bilge areas where looks aren't as critical, you could also try Interlux Bilgekote, designed to keep oil, fuel and bilge sludge out of the fibreglass.

3. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Take a look at System3 water-based linear PU http://www.systemthree.com/p_wr_lpu.asp

Lots safer than solvent based. Tough & long-lasting. Spray or roll. Gloss white. Boat builder friends here swear by it.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think the best is a good exterior water based house paint. It has easy cleanup, no fumes and the mildewcide keeps it cleaner than any of the expensive marine paints.

5. paularey

paularey Junior Member

still searching....

I love to save money but I’m redoing the previous owners house paint job right (just two years old) now so I’m trying to stay away from that route. There is a reason they call it interior/house paint and not marine or boat paint. I hope to paint something on I do not have to mess with for a very very long time! With many things and I believe that paint is one of them you get what you pay for. I have a good idea of what I want to do and that is do a good prep job, prime with a two-part epoxy primer and topcoat with a durable high gloss polyurethane. Just finding a good product in my location is the difficult part. Fumes is not really an issue, I’m not living in the boat while the paint dries and with a ventilator and the proper respirator painting is not a problem either. I’ll post what I come up with and take more suggestions.

Thanks, more coming later
    Paul

6. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

for interior go with melamine less toxic to spray and very durable.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

paularey: Please check my posting. It says exterior paint which usually has a warranty of 10-20years. I don't think it would see a rougher service in a boat interior. My suggestion is not to save money in materials, it is because these paints do very well.

8. paularey

paularey Junior Member

I apologize Gonzo my error/sped read your post. Wasn’t trying to be derogatory just sharing my line of thought. So far what I have come up with down here for availability in my area and a solid/durable paint is PPG DP48LF epoxy primer & their Durathane for the topcoat. Tad expensive yes not quite sure what it will add up to yet…? But should be able to damn near steam clean it when I’m done. This is not set in stone yet I’m still shopping around and getting the interior prepped/sanded. Still taking input. Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.