Epoxy in the sun...

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rturbett, May 24, 2020.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

I have been rebuilding a shark catamaran, now with the deck off. It's an outdoor project- I don't have the luxury of a real workshop. I do keep it covered with a tarp -for the most part.

How much should I worry about sunlight affecting the epoxy? How much exposure before it is weakened? hours, days months?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Depends on sunlight power. You're in NY spring so you have plenty of time. If it was high summer I'd cover the coated area with tarpaulin after a week or so. I'm no chemist but in New Zealand we get paint on quickly to counter UV light, which is very strong here.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

6 months under a tarp

I have a long term boat project and it has yellowed a bit near the windows after 24 months..it is in a garage

if you leave it out in the sun it will get wet and stuff and be harder to work anyhow

4. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

As Gary says, where you are should not be an immediate problem but within reason, best to get some polyurethane over the epoxy as soon as possible.

Yobarnacle likes this.

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Paint over the epoxy with UV resistant paint as soon as possible after ultimate application of epoxy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.