A Class - Boyer Mk IV dimensions

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bad dog, Apr 10, 2010.

1. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Do any owners of Boyer MkIV A Class cats have a tape measure handy? Would somebody be so kind as to measure the fore n aft beam locations for me? ie, distance from bow to fwd beam then aft beam then transom. I can convert anything to metres except cubits.
    :confused:
    Thanks in anticipation...

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

BD, Tom Siders is a member of this forum and used to have and may still have a Boyer MK IV. His handle here is "TTS" and here is a link to his profile so you can contact him: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/profile/tts.html
    Good Luck!

Here is the best picture of a MK IV I've seen in a while:

Attached Files:

3. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Thanks Doug.

4. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

Per Google:
    1 cubits = 0.4572 meters

5. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

FYI - bow to centreline of fwd beam is around 2.6m, which is 47.3% of LOA. M&M's A2 (the 'old' 2003 model) is 2.8m, which is 51% of LOA.
    Interesting huh.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

BD, are most A Class Cats similar in where the cross arms are attached?

7. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Doug,

All the MkIVs and Vs are, earlier who knows. I have transition MkIII-IV, and it is also about 0.49.

I wonder what the C Class Orion (on the other thread) is?

8. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

A Class dimensions

Not sure what breed of A Class I have acquired or if there are variations, but if it helps, here is the sketch supplied by the previous owner. If you can wait another week, I'll get more dimensions

Cheers

Alan

Attached Files:

9. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Looks like a Mk 5 you've got yourself there - very nice! Post a pic!

10. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

A Class

G"day Bad Dog

It is actually in poor condition, with many areas needing major repair but it will more than do the intended job as donor parts for a new Trinardo trimaran For very little money, I got the boat, a really good rig and trailer and am now setting up the frames and constructing a self-designed retractable beam arrangement

Here are some pictures of the beast as purchased but I'll start a new thread for the construction details of the new boat

Cheers

Alan

Attached Files:

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

------------------------
    I'd be very interested in some of the design details of
    your new Trinardo. Looking forward to the new thread!

12. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Another Trinardo

Thanks for your interest, but prepare yourself for some surprises. I have built three boats before and all were built the conventional way, namely upside down. This one is being built right way up using the A Class trailer as the base frame. There are several reasons for this:

• The maximum towing width determines the position of the amas when stowed and the centre hull must therefore fit between them. The problem with many designs is that a folding system requires major compromises with the shape of the centre hull - not so with the Trinardo that fits nicely in the space between the stowed amas so long as the beams do not have to fold up or down
    • The trailer supports for what will become the lower retractable beams are excellent and I have no wish to change them.
    • Although planned to scale on paper, the real thing always requires a few adjustments to get everything to fit yet remain practical. Building right way up makes visual orientation for the cabin shape and interior layout much easier.
    • Many of the interior fitout components are being used as hull stiffeners and/or permanent bulkheads, especially where the beams are mounted and it is much easier to apply the hull skin with mounting components already bonded into position.
    • Finally, the trailer can be chocked to be dead level, whereas the ground level is all over the place. Building on the trailer allows me to move the whole thing around as needed. Also, access to the various surfaces to be strip-planked is actually easier than with an upside down build. (Don't scream - yes it is being strip planked not laid up in foam - I'd rather lose a few knots than have the boat disintegrate)
    The beam construction is coming along nicely, using the original A Class beams cut in the centre, telescopic mid sections added plus demountable upper struts that will fold up against the centre hull for stowing, I'll post pictures of this arrangement within a couple of weeks

Moderator - it occurs to me that you may wish to use this message as the start of a new thread

Cheers

Alan

Attached Files:

13. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

Just for the record, now I can see the hulls, it WAS a Mk4, not 5. Not that this affects the Trinado job in any negative way, in fact is better, as a Mk5 would have too little bow bouyancy methinks.

Looking fwd to seeing the beam details!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.