A cape Horn vessel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by evantica, Apr 16, 2010.

1. evantica

evantica Senior Member

WHat do you think of her:)

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Chubby

3. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Capable
    Cpt. Hakan

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Seems like a boat with low speed that will pitch and roll a lot. In Cape Horn, or any other place with rough weather and reefs everywhere, speed and maneuverability and crucial.

5. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Gonzo: I would say: Nice movment rather than speed! unless your on a 12 man volvo ocean racer. Short handed, A nice heavy deplcementboat is to recommend!

"Going fast in a sailboat is not very wise" S.Nock

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

What's the displacement? waterline? Cp? and a few other things too..

7. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Yes! most of the parameters is calculated. 5-6 tons of her, waterline and the rest is also done. can show you if interested?!

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is the problem with computer design.
    Perhaps she will be great if we see the lines in the classical way, not like that with the ugly green.
    Could you design a boat like it was done for hundred years, so we can see the fair sheer, the chines, the section the waterlines.
    Well what a naval arcuitect or yacth design as to show, not a ugly green design, which as nothing to do with a boat.Showing the boat turning like a three dimensional is boring, doesn't help and do not show the boat.
    Be serious if you want to go to the Cap Horn.
    Don't take my post negatively, and personaly, it is a constructive critic.
    Daniel

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's close to a Colin Archer type hull. The chubbiness can't be guessed at until you see the waterline. The sheer height appears to be adaquate to accomodate a standing cabin in a boat under 30 ft, but the sheer could drop if the boat were over 30 ft, making the boat appear lighter.
    Anyway, no reason why that hull in that view at least couldn't be a sound Cape Horner.

10. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Thanks for comments (Alan) and the "constructiv critic" Daniel!
    But NO!!! I can not draw a thing in the designing prosses. I have "hired" a boatdesigner to do the math, And he came up with this greenish one. But the most imporant thing is that, she will be ok for my voyage around the Horn.
    And I have faith in the boatdesigner, coz' he've "done" quite a few boats over the years.

1 person likes this.
  11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Good for you.
    Thanks for taking my post the right way :)
    I wish you a fair wind when you hit the Horn. But in the mean time, enjoy the building process. It is after all the fun part :cool:
    Daniel

12. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I'm OK with the boat even if it is green. Dskira is right about the build being the fun part. Going around the horn might be far less fun. I suspect that a bad day on the North Sea is sufficiently challenging for most of us. I am interested in your motivation. Please tell us why you aspire to round the horn???

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I will agree and disagree with my friend Daniel.....;)

Absolutely....if you ask Naval Architects or Yacht Designers for their opinion of some hull...give them something to look at...the 3D image is pretty much gee whiz and not really useful in any comparison. If the hull form is unusual, say a pentamaran or something....it might help us visualize what's going on...but that's it. The three view classical "Lines" presentation is required, plus the leading dimensions at the very least....but hopefully including some coefficients.

But when actually designing the boat....the 3D view is vital. Actually when designing the hull I don't use the 3D view except as a check and to admire my brilliant work :D The actual hull form is sorted in Freeship or Rhino using the three classical views.

But then when it comes time to trim the hull and add the cabin.....the 3D views are very important. Getting the proportions correct (IMO) is what it's all about and three dee is the answer.

There was a time when I drew all lines by hand in pencil, and I would never build the boat until we had made a hull model I could hold in my hands. The computer has eliminated that necessity...or maybe experience has something to do with it?

This is the project I'm fussing with today...trying to add a flying bridge and get it proportioned right.....
    P375conceptlines.jpg

P375modelprelim.jpg

P375renderblue07.jpg

14. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Thanks for commensts.
    Messabout: It's more of a "saying" -make her cape horn ready- to sail her around the world. but the Horn is the ultimate challenge, I think?! But I see your point. I don't like bad wheather either, I longning for some warmth in an Pacific Island somewhere. And Thats my main gole... But it's likely that I at sometime in my life tries to rounding the famous Cape Horn. = My Evantica will be prepared and capable for it!

15. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Waterline is calculated... comments now then:)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.